Looking for those who have quit smoking

My quote:

That is misleading and makes me sound horrible. I meant:

I quit when I found out I was pregnant and resumed smoking when she was seven months old.

Well, I guess I’m still horrible to smoke, but I don’t do it in front of my kid, in the house, or in the car. So even though I’m an ass, I’m not a total jerk.

Time to go to bed.

Coldfire…in next year’s vote, I’m giving you a run for your money on your title!

Everyone’s already given you all the advice dear…all i can say is…I WANT A DAMN CIG!! I quit a little over a month ago because I found out I was pregnant. Have enough strikes against me, so I needed to. All I can say is I crave them ALL THE TIME. It is stuck in my sub conscience (sp?). I had a friend that came to visit over the weekend, and I made her smoke outside. Just seeing them laying on the corner of the table increased my desire. Pretty disgusting that I crave cigs more than i do sex! Anyway, good luck to you and anyone else who does decide to quit smoking. You know what though? It still ticks me off to hear others talk about how smoking is so bad for you, and aggravating smokers to quit. Think its one of my peeves! lol

By “on the pot,” do you mean stoned out of your gourd, or sitting on a toilet? Or both?
:slight_smile:
The best advice I’ve ever heard was that whatever craving you’re having now will end whether you smoke a cigarette or not. Somebody on this board said that around the time that I quit. I think it was brilliant advice and it’s saved me from buying cigs quite a few times since then.
You know, it’s funny how far away those cravings feel when you’re not having one. Right now I feel like I could go the rest of my life without nicotine and not be bothered. Thirty minutes from now, I may be going out of my mind. Isn’t addiction a fascinating thing?

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, pee in it, and serve it to the people that piss you off.

I haven’t smoked for two years and one month now. The cravings for the first two weeks were pretty rough, then they began to taper off. After about two months, food began to taste better and I could almost smell flowers. After about six months, I noticed that I was riding my bicycle with far fewer stops to catch my breath. After one year, I was almost completely free of the cravings, although a craving would pop up from time to time. That continues to this day, for what it is worth. But, someone just posted that the craving will go away, if you smoke or not. My health is so much better it is hard for me to believe—I was prone to respiratory illnesses for years. On the down side,-----hell, I can’t think of one. Hang in there and when the cravings hit, remember:
“This to shall pass.”

Crystalguy

You’ve already gone througt the hard torturous part.
From now on you will have weak moments.No sense in going through the torture part again.Just remember how hard it was to get where you are.
At least thats the way I look at it.

I quit 22 years ago. There are times that it still smells good. I will never smoke another. It hurt like hell the first two weeks that I stopped. Just take one day at a time. It does get better.

Girlbysea (AKA: ChiefScott’s GBS)

One year, two months, three weeks, 10 hours, 19 minutes and 32 seconds. 15695 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,118.83. Life saved: 7 weeks, 5 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes.

Go to www.silkquit.org and download a quit meter. Then watch the time build up, along with the money and life saved.

The cravings did go away for me, now I am a militant nonsmoker (read asshole). I used Nicotrol patches, and I guess that they must have worked, it’s hard to know whether you would have craved cigarettes mor if you hadn’t used them.

It’s something to be proud of when you do it.

neutron,

I posted that quote ! Glad it has helped. Actually I simulposted it with with another member but I can’t remember who it was (and they were first). I think I found it at http://www.silkquit.org/as3/archive/fdon.html

Keep going, it DOES get easier, soon you will forget about them and the cravings will be many months apart, be weak, and last maybe 30 seconds. Nothing more than a occcasional annoyance.

Quit since 9/9/99

Oblio

Kayla managed to bully me into finishing off my last pack about three weeks ago. I think she may have been fed her line by kaylasauntie. “Daddy, why do you want to die?” Two months of that was about all I could take, before I negotiated with her the right to finish the pack I was working on.

The ironic thing is that now that she’s no longer asking the question, I have a perfectly suitable answer: “Because I can’t smoke a freakin’ cigarette, Honey.”

Kaylasmom has been openly wondering if life wouldn’t be a lot more pleasant around here if I’d get me down to the 7-11 and give up.

It’s been more than a decade since my last cig, but I must confess I still get an occassional urge for one from time to time. The urge is fleeting and occurs rarely, but it still happens.

Incidentally, and I can’t stress this enough, there is nothing more dispicable than a militant ex-smoker. These are truly the assholes of the world, and I will have nothing to do with them.

If you smoke, quit, but please do not become one of them.

The cravings will probably never completely go away but they will slow down and not be so strong. My grandpa quit about 15 years ago and he still wants one occassionally. He has emphyzema really bad now though. He can’t walk two feet without getting out of breath and is on oxygen 24/7. You would think that would be enough to inspire me to quit but I still smoke.

That John Denver’s full of shit man!

I quit 25 years ago after smoking for 15 years. For me the craving did go away but it took at least ten years. It wasn’t bad for ten years, just an occasional desire and those faded away. Now cigarettes STINK and smelling one does not make me want one.
I did gain about 40 lbs. I dieted to lose it and then slowly gained it back. Six years ago I started a combination of eating an average of 1600 calories a day, along with four days each week of two miles on the treadmill and an hour of weight training. It took about six months to lose the forty pounds and I have kept it off for five and a half years. I don’t consider myself to be on a “diet”. I consider 1600 calories a day to be what I can eat. After six years I don’t have the intense carving for food that I did at first. 1600 calories now seems normal to me.

I have never been a habitual smoker. I do occasionally smoke a cigar or so on poker nights, but mostly not.

For all you smokers who are quitting: I promise to be supportive and helpful of your quitting, and not to take offense if you are grumpy because of it.

To all you non-smokers who know people who are quitting: I urge you to do the same for your friends. Tell them you’re proud of them. Keep candies or pretzels or something around in case your ex-smoker friends need something to chew on. Be a little extra tolerant of bad moods.

A committee is a lifeform with six or more legs and no brain.

I quit over a year ago after many years of smoking. I tried using the gum, but it tasted vile and after a few days, I went without aid. I do not get urges, but do dream about smoking. I have awakened a number of times sure that I fell off the wagon and all my hard work was for vain. It is a great feeling when I realize it was a dream. I dream alot, but the ones in which I smoke are by far the most vivid and the ones I tend to remember in the morning.