Looks like a booster shot will be needed after a year

I just heard on the news that a ‘third’ booster shot will be needed after a year. That’s assuming of course that one has gotten a two-shot dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines.

This is not surprising-- you need to get a flu shot every year, to account for the latest flu variant that season. I imagine next year’s Covid vaccines will be engineered to be more effective against whatever Covid variations exist.

But it makes me wonder what happens to people, like me, who’ve gotten the J&J shot (or the AZ shot, for that matter). What if those vaccines are phased out? Can one mix-and-match? Or what if people forget what vaccine they got, lost their vax card, whatever-- it seems like, logistically with several vaccine types out there it will be difficult to keep track of who gets what over the course of years (assuming Covid is around that long). Will there possibly be an evolution to one standard yearly Covid shot? After all, nobody asks or is told what brand of flu shot they receive-- you just get ‘the flu shot’.

Man, I really fucking want them to develop a nasal spray for this, I can’t express how much I want this. I real an article about how the vaccine developer scientists mocked up a nasal spray really early in the development process as a proof-of-concept.

Oh, it looks like it may be possible. Please please please

I was just thinking the other day, when I was a kid there was a swine flu panic in 1976, they developed a two-dose vaccine, and it was administered via a jet injector. As a kid who hated and feared getting shots, I was very happy to get vaccinated via the painless jet injector method. So I wondered whatever happened to the jet injector, but as that Wiki article I linked to says, apparently there was a risk of contamination when using it, so it was abandoned. Not said in the article, but I imagine it was also MUCH more expensive to distribute and maintain a jet injector than just using the simple tried-and-true syringe. Vaxx by nasal spray would be similarly simple, cheap and low-tech to distribute, so hopefully they can perfect whatever is holding that up.

(Incidentally, I never got the second swine flu vaccine dose because it turned out there was a possible risk of getting Guillain-Barré Syndrome).

The minute risk of contamination became unacceptable in the age of AIDS.

The military was still using them in the early 90s, because I got all my military vaccines (you get all childhood vaccines again, when you are inducted, because it’s easier and cheaper just to do everyone than to try and figure out who already had what, and just vaccinate people missing shots) that way, I presume because you get an HIV test when you enlist, and again before you ship, so the risk of getting HIV from an injector in the military was especially low; but once the injectors were phased out in general, it probably didn’t make sense to manufacture and maintain them solely for military use.

They were pretty painless, but what the military cared about was that they were fast.

Really, shots are not that painful.

When you’re a kid, the anticipatory fear of getting a needle stuck in you was much worse than the actual pain of the needle. And I was not the worst scaredy-cat- I would at least stoically submit to the shot, while I saw kids try to run away screaming and crying from the vaccination line.

[Marlon Brando voice] The horror. The horror. [/Marlon Brando voice]

Not all phobias are rational, and just because they are irrational doesn’t mean that they are easy to get over.

I never had a problem getting shots, even as a child. I obviously don’t remember my very first shots, but the first one that I do remember, I turned my head away and tensed up, expecting pain and trauma, then the nurse said, “All done!” and put a bandaid on the injection site. After that, I was the quiet one while they poked me in the arm, the butt, the stomach, wherever. But my sister? Hell no. She had to be strapped to a table with my mother holding her head, and a cloth in her mouth to keep her from biting off her tongue.

She’s a bit better now, but she has to take tranquilizers beforehand, so has to be driven by someone else. And she still is a trembling mess, but at least not screaming and flailing.

So, while I don’t share the phobia that some have about needles, I do empathize with it. This vaccine was put out as quickly as possible, and testing other means of inoculation take more time than we really have. As we move forward, however, I absolutely support the development, assuming they can be made effective of other methods. Personally, if we need a second booster in a year, I’d rather get a needle than a nasal spray, but if it makes a difference in how well it is accepted, then by all means, we should see if we can get it to work that way.

Just weird for someone w/ no strong phobias, to think one’s phobia against needles exceeded their phobia against dying.

Dying is a rational fear. A phobia is not. My reaction to the second COVID vaccination, even under the effects of an anti-anxiety medication, was a full-blown panic attack following by blacking out for several minutes.

I’m super hoping they do a nasal spray.

Agreed. When little, I dreaded the Japanese encephalitis shot for almost an entire year. When in fact it wasn’t much and I had endured numerous bumps, scrapes and other injuries that were significantly more painful - the only difference being that with those other childhood injuries, there was nothing to anticipate ahead of time. It’s all mental.

There are, in fact, multiple options for the influenza vaccine which you can request depending on age, prior immunological issues like egg allergies, medical status, et cetera. The “flu shot” most people get through a pharmacy is the quadrivalent vaccine; there are a number of different manufacturers which produce these vaccines with slight variations in the process but all are reformulated annually to protect against the variants and strains that are evaluated as being of greatest infectiousness or virulence because Influenza Type A viruses is panzootic (can easily jump between humans and some domestic animals; mostly birds but also swine) and undergo both antigenic shift and antigenic drift, meaning there is not only progressive mutation from replicative errors but radical recombinations including across different strains in co-infected organisms.

Originally it was thought that coronaviruses in general and SARS-CoV-2 had relatively low mutation rates and did not routinely undergo antigenic shift but more recent assessment is that it does have a much greater rate of evolutionary change than previously suspected, and significant potential for zoonotic exchange, not only with bats and pangolins but with other domestic mammal species, although the potential for spillback is still unknown (to date no known cases of infection from feline-to-human or ermine-to-human).

Because the virus is so transmissible and reservoirs will remain even after a particular population achieves a herd immunity threshold (if that is even possible) booster shots or new vaccines will almost certainly be needed, particularly in light of increasing evidence of the severity of long term post-infection sequelae, i.e. Covid-19 ‘long-haulers’ or what the National Institutes of Health is now terming “Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection” (PASC). Early evidence indicates that vaccination helps to not only protect against (but not completely prevent) infection but also reduce the incidence and severity of PASC symptoms, particularly the curious and as-yet unexplained neurological pathologies.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(21)00075-8/fulltext

Stranger

I’ll note that the poster in question, even though having a severe phobia, still did get the shot. Yes, the fear of dying (and probably more of being a vector and being responsible for the death of others), made him face the fear.

Even though someone can get the shot even with severe phobia, doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t work to do what we can to make getting inoculated a less traumatic experience for them.

Phobias are, by definition, irrational. That’s what a phobia is - a fear that manifests in an irrationally extreme behavior. If your fear is rational, it’s not a phobia.

Sorry, it was an intentional understatement that sounded less harsh than “No phobia is rational.”

Along the lines of “Not all dogs are astrophysicists.”

The purpose of the post was to demonstrate that we should take phobias into account in rolling out future vaccine drives, not to poke at those who suffer from them.

When I was getting my last physical there was a child in the next room who absolutely sounded like he was being tortured. A nurse came into my room to explain that he was getting a couple of shots. What a terrible experience for all of them: the child, the parent, and the person administering the shots.

The thing that occurs to me is that, unlike every other shot I’ve ever taken, this one has systemic side effects that can be painful. And a lot of people report the second shot is worse. There could this be a lot more reluctance to get the third one, especially if it’s proportionately worse. The usual assurance, that it’ll be a pin prick and you’ll be anticipating more pain than will happen may not hold as well.

Also, it’s not just the shot itself-- the resulting shoulder pain afterward from the muscle injection is not insignificant. Mine I would describe as mild, but it was bad enough that I had a bit of discomfort rolling on my side with the vaxxed shoulder in bed for a night or two.

Hopefully, by next year, it will have gotten better. This was rushed a bit, and we are gaining a whole lot of data on side effects that may be able to be ameliorated in the next round.

The worst shot I have gotten is the tetanus shot. Every time I’ve gotten one, it’s caused severe discomfort for at least a few days.

My daughter was needle-phobic, requiring pre-medication before vaccines. It was pretty awful and seemed to be worse with each doctor visit. Then she turned 16 and wanted to get a piercing (navel).

I worked with her. Starting with just talking about what needles are like, how they are made, different sizes, etc. We had talks maybe twice a week, eventually working up to the point where I got some used syringes (still no needles) and we worked with them.

We eventually got to the point where we could look at pictures of needles. Then actually hold them.

After working on this at home for many months, I set up a visit with a friend who does piercing. I bought her dinner and in exchange she hung out with us in the (closed) tattoo/piercing shop. She showed my daughter her own piercings, talked about their significance, etc. After an hour of chatting my daughter wanted her piercing done and it went smoothly.

Today my daughter is a nurse.

@Left_Hand_of_Dorkness , you’re probably sick of people encouraging you to work on your phobia, but it is possible to get past it.

I’m due for mine in few week at my next doctor’s visit.