Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade

Diana Gabaldon’s new Lord John novel releases at the end of the month. I hope it’s better than the last one. John Grey is my favorite secondary character from the Outlander series, but her first novel about him wasn’t very good. The short stories are a little better.

This new book has Jamie in it, so maybe that will help. It’s set in 1758, so Jamie would be in England, at Helwater, and that’s the year that Willie was born. So probably Jamie and John Grey have just become friends.

I’ve just been re-reading the Outlander series, so I’m excited about the new book.

I have long been a fan of Gabaldon’s Outlander series, and naturally, I’ve read Lord John and the Private Matter, the Outlandish Companion, and a few of her short fiction words that have been featured in fantasy anthologies, too. I had heard the new Lord John book was due out soon. I’ll have to put on my wishlist with the new Jacqueline Carey offering (Kushiel’s Justice).

I’m another long time fan of Diana Galaldon, I got the first hardcover from the library when it first came out. I wish Gabaldon would concentrate on finishing the next Outlander Book and leave Lord John for later. It’s been too long since A Breath of Snow & Ashes. It’ll be nice to read about Jamie again, but I still want to know about the rest of the characters.
I thought Lord John & the Private Matter was decent, but not as good as the Outlander series.
I’m a fan of Jacqueline Carey too, I’m on the last couple chapters of Kushiel’s Scion. Kushiel’s Justice (hardcover) is available on Amazon.UK and I’ve seen it on eBay too. (I’m also a fan of Jules Watson & Juliet Marillier).

Sounds interesting; are the books a mixture of history and fantasy?

Mostly history, with a little fantasy (time travel, a couple witches, a ghost or two). They’re fun. I also hope the new Lord John is better than the last one.

FairieBeth, the new Carey is a lot of fun. More so than the last one.

The Outlander series is historical fiction/time travel/romance. There are six eight-hundred page books so far, plus the Lord John spinoffs. And she’s not done yet.

In the first book, Claire is a World War II nurse who accidentally travels back in time to 1743 Scotland where she meets and is more or less forced to marry a Highlander named Jamie, despite the fact that she already has a husband in 1946 England.

There is very little magic in the books other than the explanation of how the time travel works. There’s a lot of stuff about Claire trying to practice medicine under primitive conditions.