Lost 1.16 "Outlaws"

I don’t think Sawyer and Jack’s dad are done yet. I think we’ll see more of them. Incidentally, I was right! Half right, anyway. So far.

I heard the voices saying that - who else?

That was a rather intense game of “I never…”

The shrimp selling guy

the boar in Sawyer’s repeat bed dream while out out with Katie

I thought Jack’s dad said it in all that other stuff he said.

and The Others
wasn’t looking for it at the time, but did T2 say it?

Looks like Sun shows some skin next episode, so I’m sure Jin’s reaction will play a part of the show assuming he finds out.

Now we know what Jack and Sawyer have in common: Jack’s father screwed up both their lives.

Sawyer is getting a bit “nicer”, but he’s a right bastard for not telling Jack that his father loved him, yadda, yadda, yadda.

OK…did I just see things, or did Sawyer flip the cylinder of his pistol out to the right? What company makes a revolver that opens to the right instead of to the left?

I don’t remember if there was more than one scene where he opened it, but it definitely opened to the left at least once.

I saw that too. But when he reached into the glove compartment for the pistol, I could swear he opened it to the right.

Maybe I missed something; how did Jack’s father screw up Sawyer’s life?

Possibly in Sawyer’s mind, giving Sawyer permission to commit murder…?

Probably due to the effects of the coriolis force in the southern hemisphere. :smiley:

Yep. What did I say when I started this thread: No story-line development, just interpersonal relationship stuff.

I still liked it. The boar was the reincarnation of the shrimp guy-- the wrong guy that “Sawyer” killed. He had to let the boar go as redemption from what he did in Australia. No?

I’m still cracking up at: “Thank you, boar expert!”

That was a Blair Witch Boar. You know…he was camping and it kept messing with his stuff.

Good flashbacks to Sawyer and the grifting and his not-quite-by-chance meeting with Jack’s dad.

Ooh, next week looks good. Michael’s trying to pull a “Cast Away.” Good luck.

I’m cracking up at: “It peed on my shirt. It pulled it out of my pack and peed on it!” :wink:

MEME LOST title exploration of episode 1x16, “Outlaws”, which is defined as follows:

out·law (out’lô’) n.

1. A fugitive from the law.
  2. A habitual criminal.
  3. A rebel; a nonconformist: a social outlaw.
  4. A person excluded from normal legal protection and rights.
  5. A wild or vicious horse or other animal.

tr.v., -lawed, -law·ing, -laws.
To declare illegal: outlawed the sale of firearms.
To place under a ban; prohibit: outlawed smoking in the house.
To deprive (one declared to be a criminal fugitive) of the protection of the law

The plural use is significant as it can refer to persons as well as the verb, outlaws, as in, The area outlaws the use of guns. An actual fact that plays significantly into what happens in this episode.

There are at least 5 unquestioned outlaws who get most of the screen time in this episode… Sawyer, Charlie, Kate, Jack’s father Dr. Christian Shephard and Sawyer’s boar. One of them is indeed a wild animal, as per definition #5. All of the humans are killers, either because of deliberate premeditated actions (the islanders) or gross criminal negligence (Jack’s father). Also seen briefly as possible outlaws of a sorts (and therefore worth noting) are the Korean mobster’s son-in-law Jin, who may have more than metaphoric blood on his hands, Sayhid, who has admittedly killed in the service of his country and Locke, who shares a bit of his own family history-- which, frankly, may not be true at all.

The word ‘outlaw’ evokes images of Western outsiders, and all three of our island outlaws fit different definitions of the word. Kate fits the definition of #1, the fugitive. Sawyer fits #2, the habitual criminal. Charlie is #3, the nonconformist. Note, too, they’re outlaws for different reasons besides killing: Kate robbed banks. Sawyer was a confidence man. Charlie was a petty thief who was spiralling lower and lower because of his drug addiction.

Kate kills her accomplice(s?) during the commission of a bank robbery. Charlie, the fallen rock star, recovering drug addict and former petty thief, becomes an outlaw by shooting another outlaw, circumventing the de facto law of the island and defying the will of the posse he’s followed. Sawyer has perhaps the most sympathetic reason to kill, and loses his nerve – yet summons the courage to follow his plan after drinks and talking to Dr. Shephard. But Sawyer kills the wrong man – essentially, the con man was conned into killing someone. All three used guns.

Charlie slowly comes to grips with what he’s done. Kate continues to remain cagey about her actions. Sawyer now understands that he shares the island with the son of the man who helped talk him into murder. Will he resent Jack more by proxy? Will Jack ever learn of this connection to his father?

Finally… who did the boar kill? The pilot? Scott? Joanna, the supposedly drowned woman? The mind reels.

Am I the only one who found the whole Kate/Sawyer “I never…” thing incredibly sexy?

I love Sayid more every week.

I liked the episode, but boy howdy did this one have some groaners.

“What can you possibly to do make us even for the Tampa job?” :smack:

Of course, nearly every tough guy line Sawyer says sounds like that. Dude makes a craptacular badass. Best leave him as the jerk.

Next episode Sun shows some skin. :smiley: Much hotter than Kate.

I have a theory about why Claire is still so pregnant. Didn’t Jack say just after the crash that she was due any time? And here it is, a month later, and the girl still has a basketball shoved under her shirt.

Time is suspended on the island. The Frenchwoman may think she’s been missing 16 years, but in actuality, no time has passed.

We’ll see if I’m right if Claire ever delivers.

A little Hurley, a quick shot of Sun and Jim, and absolutely NO Boone or Shannon. What’s up with that?

My son was one step ahead of me with the whole Sawyer/Duckett scene. He said, “He was set up to be a hitman!” just before I figured out what was going on. And since when do loansharks kill the people who owe them money? You can never collect if you do that.

[hijack]And as a huge Diana Gabaldon fan, I can really see the actor who play Sawyer as Stephen Bonnet.[/hijack]

I missed some of the end. Who was the Shrimp Guy that Sawyer killed if not the real Sawyer?

In short, the shrimp shack guy was just some poor guy who owed T2 some money. T2 knew about Sawyer’s need for revenge, so he set Sawyer up as a hitman.