Lost 2.21: "?"

Welcome to the Lost Alternate Reality Game. :smiley:

Go to www.thehansofoundation.org . Try to sign up for the newsletter. The password you need there is breaking strain.

Once in, go to the bio page for Dr. Mittlebrook. Use Heir apparent there.

I got the “you don’t have Flash” page for the Hanso Foundation, though my Flash was good enough on the subLYMONal page, so that’s confusing. Then when I go to the flash download page it says the site isn’t found. Grr!

We must be in the same hatch vaderspal. Back in “?” someone is watching us mindlessly reinstall flash every couple of minutes.

Okay, I tried that last week (the “breaking strain” thing) and it didn’t work. It asked me to sign up for the newsletter by choosing a username first. I chose a password (several, in fact, because I did it several times) and after I clicked “Send” or whatever, [spoiler]the screen went weird, like it was breaking up, and a handwritten-looking message came up that said, “Hello, [username], can you read this?” No matter what I typed, it then said, “Gotta go,” and the screen went back to normal. I tried typing in “breakingstrain” when it asked if I could read the message, but it still just said, “Gotta go.”

After that, I went to Joop’s Corner and sent a message, “Persephone,” to him like one of the posters in the last thread recommended. Joop’s webcam image began showing another face kind of superimposed over Joop’s, but that was all.[/spoiler]

Did I do something wrong? How can I get it to ask me for a password?

Oh, and now, I’m able to get to the Hanso Foundation Website, but it tells me that I don’t have the most recent version of Flash, and I know full well that I do. There’s a link to click if you really do have the lastest version, but when I click it, I just get the “page cannot be displayed” message again. Frustrating!

Yeah, I reinstalled it and it still doesn’t work.

I don’t have season 1 available, but didn’t Claire’s psychic freak out on her at the beginning of her reading and offer her money back? That doesn’t sound like the sort of thing a fraud would do. Was he feeling guilty about following the directions of others (heh) to send this woman off on a doomed plane, or did he suddenly get the gift when he touched her?

He probably suddenly got the gift. It’s probably kind of like Sybil Trelawney in Harry Potter. A total fraud most of the time – but once or twice accidentally emits a real prophecy.

Maybe something happened with his daughter’s limbo visions and went legit as a psychic. It would be nice to know the timeline of when Clare was there and when Eko was there.

Perhaps the two guys in Pearl were the experimental rats. Eko saw a monitering
camera there too. They were told what they were doing was very important but
watching someone push a button ? Dont watch enough to know but Eko
says John’s work important.

I’m gonna guess that we haven’t seen the end of Mr. Psychic, and that he’ll likely pop up in yet another flashback. I agree that offering Claire her money back isn’t very fraud-like. He was very adamant.

I think that the idea of the button-pushing just being a psychological experiment is a red herring. Maybe the people manning the Pearl hatch were told that (falsely) as part of THEIR psychological experiment. Or maybe the whole orientation video was false and only planted there to screw with Locke and Eko.

There are a lot of layers to this onion, as MrWhatsit pointed out earlier tonight. And as I said in reply, yeah, and so far we’re only through the part that you throw in the compost heap. I mean, here we have what appears to be a perfectly rational scientific explanation for everything: a research organization set up camp on the island and built these hatches to perform psychological experimentation of an unknown nature. This explains a lot: the presence of the hatches, the weird button-pressing thing, etc. But it doesn’t explain the smoke monster, Lostzilla, the island’s mysterious healing powers, the psychic crap going on (i.e. Locke and Eko sharing the same dream) and so forth. So clearly there’s more than meets the eye. Is Dharma behind it all or is Dharma merely another player in the island’s grand scheme?

I JUST DON’T KNOW! I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING! Except that I’ll watch next week. Because I’m a sucker.

It’s not hard to figure out.

1. Claire (gets initial prophecies)
    –Eight Months–
  2. Drowning and Eko
  3. Claire (gets tickets)
  4. Flight 815 departs.
    Only days could be between the last three points

I think the speculation regarding the psychic was right. He was a fraud, and likely trying to sell Claire’s baby. But, just because his intentions were fraudulent, doesn’t mean that a higher power wasn’t acting through him anyway.

Just like how he’s a fraud, yet his daughter experienced a legitimate miracle and vision.

And like how the button is merely a psych experiment, yet somehow also significant. Perhaps it’s the people in the Pearl hatch that are being lied to.

Btw, did I hear that there used to be regular ferry service? That means they can’t be too far from civilization, or something.

You mean Kate? :wink:

re: the psychic:

I think he was legit, but something about his daughter’s recovery freaked him out and/or he didn’t want the attention from the church, so he lied about being a fraud.

What’s up with Michael?

He wakes up in the hatch.
“Where is everybody?”
“They are out getting the guns so we can attack the Others and save Walt.”
[Michael thinks to himself] “Hmm, I’d better kill some people and free Henry, just in case they lose interest in rescuing Walt.”

Is this what we’re supposed to think is happening?

Don’t forget that he tried to set up a whole intercontinental adoption for Claire’s kid, and he quite possibly had a financial interest in that. The “giving the money back” may well have been part of the scam to make him look like he’s definitely not a fraud. Because what fraud would give the cash back?

Menocchio: I think the ferry service was between two points on the island itself. I’d have to hear that bit again to confirm, but I thought it was a ferry to the (something) Station.

Biggest clue that Jack (et al) should have caught…

If pseudo-Henry grabbed the gun to escape “like 20 minutes ago” and shot him… why was AL on the couch looking comfortable… it was her gun. If she had been overrun opening the safe, she would not have been on the couch.

Of course, Grissom isnt on the island.

Other than that… The realization taht AL is about to do something (when Jack, Locke and Kate are trying to get the Guns from Sawyer) is in the daylight… they hike to the hatch and it’s nite before they get there… how far is the hatch away?

Seems some wierd continuity tonite with the day/nite thing. Oh… yeah… when they go to get the drugs… it’s daylight again… when Hurley finds out.

day- nite - day? is it just me?

Yeah, that was a bad edit or something.

Maybe the Pearl is a reference to the John Steinbeck story – protecting something that you think has great value, but in the end, you lose what’s most important. Or something like that. It’s been awhile since I read it.

Here’s a link to the actress, Brooke Anderson, who played the drowned daughter, Charlotte Malkin. Possible spoiler there so be warned.

It lists her as also appearing in the first part of the season finale.

None of her other credits looked familiar to me, so I don’t think I’ve seen her anywhere else.

Curses! repeats to self H-E-R-O-I-N.

I blame it on all those years of French. :wink:

Anybody play Myst-type games?
This reminds me of those.
I keep expecting them to find a hatch where the first things they’re going to need to do is to find a way to turn the electricity back on…

Yup. And the bullet hole will be in the couch to prove that’s where she was shot. There’s no explanation Michael can give for AL being killed there. If AL struggled with Henry, that should have woke Michael up. But the claimed to have been awakened by shots, meaning that both AL and Libby were shot before Michael even got his crazy ass out of bed. Given this scenario, and the location of the bedroom, Libby had no way of knowing Michael was even there.

Sayid will figure this out pretty quickly once he gets all the facts. Of course this assumes anyone will bother to actually relay him any of the facts.