LOTR:TT movie, what is symbelmyne

I don’t think that J.R.R. Tolkien meant for symbelmyne (Evermind in English) to be a specific plant in real life, but of course in the movies they had to film something. What I’m wondering is what flower did they use when they filmed the scene in The Two Towers where King Theoden is standing at his son’s grave?

Looked like daisies.

I don’t think so, at least not the one Theoden holds in his hand.

I’m sure it was probably a homemade flower, and not some run of the mill wildflower. Once the special edition of LOTR:TTT comes out on DVD it will no doubt be in there. After watching several hours of the FOTR special edition “making of’s” I am sure they probably made the flower special. After all, they hand cut and painted several thousand mallorn leaves, so a few dozen flowers would be no sweat at all.

Yeah, that’s probably it, but on the other hand it looked pretty real. I have no idea whether they could make a flower look that real when filmed so close up.

When I first saw the film, I thought to myself “I bet I know what those flowers are! They’ll be Mount Cook Lilies!” which are buttercups I think, and are native to that area of the country.

But they aren’t Mount Cook Lilies at all, so I think they’re probably artificial.