Lyrics Re-Versed

This is the funniest thing I’ve seen in weeks. Enjoy!

I’m almost tempted to sing one of these, Beverly Sills-style, at the next karaoke party I attend.

Nah. Never mind.

This is hysterical. Thanks for pointing it out. A couple of comments.

[list]
[li]The site proports to be updating “today’s” songs. Now the’ve got a pretty good song list, but the vast majority of songs the’ve chosen are from 1965-1975. (“I’m a Believer”??!!). These are not “today’s” songs. These aren’t even last year’s songs.[/li]
[li]Whoever did this has never, ever heard the phrase “make it scan”. Just a hint, bunky: You can’t cram 68 syllables into a musial space of 4 beats, no matter how much you want to tell us that you hate evolution.[/li]
[li]Also, screwing up the rhyme scheme doesn’t help to keep the song sounding right. “Blueberry Hill” has an AABB rhyme. Changing it to ABAB messes it up.[/li]
[li]A polka is a specific term for a particular beat. (A “duple beat” per my dictionary.) I’m fairly certain that “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” isn’t a polka (I’m not positive,though), regardless of how much you want it to be. But either way, turning it into an anti-Catholic rant is just wrong.[/li]
[li]‘history’ and ‘Eve’ don’t rhyme. Neither do ‘soup’ and ‘fluke’.[/li]
[li]Smugness isn’t attractive. Neither is willful ignorance (hint: NO pro-evolution person is saying that humans are decendants of monkeys who are descenants of lizards with ‘mutated brain waves’)[/li]
Fenris

Has anybody ever tried this the other way around? Could it be fun to take hymn tunes and re-vamp the lyrics to suit non-religious rock-based sensibilities? And is this blasphemy?

Somehow in my study of history, I never pictured Martin Luther saying “In your face!” to Tetzel.

::Shakes her head in sad disbelief::

Whatever happened to such classics as “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring”?

Robin

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry after reading this one to the tune of The Beverly Hillbillies.

This is just wrong on so many levels.

Saved that is, set free, redeemed.:rolleyes:

http://www.ultranet.com/~mari/Smellslike.htm

Smells like holy spirit…
ROTFL
oh.my… well… god.
dodgy

Here’s one for the lounge singers!

[sub]“I want to wake up in a church that never sleeps…”[/sub]:eek:

The Mermaid mentioned one of those songs that was set to the tune of “The Beverly Hillbillies” theme. I know another song set to those words.

Any of you all heard of Fred Phelps? He’s rather infamous for his hatred of gays. He is a so-called minister, and his little church, consisting mostly of family and a few other hate mongers, goes all over to picket any event(but especially funerals) where they will get an audience. His home base is right here in my town of Topeka, Kansas.

A local group wrote a song about him I find hysterical. Called “The Ballad of Fred” it goes like this

Come and listen to my story ‘bout a man named Fred,
A bold minister with lots of hate inside his head,
And then one day he was lokkin’ for a cause
and said to himself “I’ll hate homosexuals!”
(Queers that is, sodomites)

Well the first thing you know old Fred’s a picketeer, Cursing anyone who acts remotely queer,
We think that somewhere else is where he really oughta be,
And while he’s at it he can take his whole darn family.
(Siberia, Timbuctu)

Well now it’s time to say goodbye to Fred and all his kin,
We’re sorry but we can’t say that we’re glad that they stopped in,
But if by chance they should come back to this locality,
We’ll have to show them some of our great hospitality.
(Tar that is, feathers. Don’t come back now, ya hear?)

Sorry for the hijack, I couldn’t resist.

In addition to “Smells like Holy Spirit” my favorite is

Jesus! Worship Jesus!
Have a yabba-dabba-do time
A Spirit filled time
We’ll see revival come!

Somehow, it just never occurs to me to have a yabba-dabba-do time, on my knees in prayer.

This one is my favorite, no question.

I’ve been trying to rationalize this, and say, “well, yes, the lyrics are sappy and just plain… bad, but maybe it’s serving a puprose, and reaching people who otherwise would not receive this message, filling them with life and hope and yadda yadda”

And then I read the link ThisYearsGirl gave. I am at a loss for words! I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants!

New lyrics for
Michael, Row the Boat Ashore
Onward, Christian Soldiers
???

Why?