Mafia - Original Version

I purchased the original version of Mafia for the PC.

Gosh! I guess it must have been about ten years ago now.

I loved this game. I loved everything about it. But I haven’t touched it for about ten years now and I recently decided to buy Mafia 2 and Mafia 3. Mafia 3 is not yet available (to the best of my knowledge) and so I decided to play with the original version for a bit.

But I can’t get it to run. I install it OK. But when I try and start it, I get the message,

"Please log in to “Administrator mode” and restart “Game.exe”.

I don’t remember just what version of Windows I used when I originally played this game. It must have been a very early version of XP. I doubt it was Win 98 because I only had that running on my PC for an extremely short amount of time. Part of the install procedure is a question whether I’d like to install some video drivers or not. I bought an extra good video card for this PC when I bought it. So, I selected “no” the first time I tried. When that didn’t work, I tried it again and selected “yes”. It still didn’t work.

I’m currently running Win 7.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to get this running? I have tried to run “Win.exe” from Administrator mode. I right-clicked on the Mafia Start icon. and selected the option “Run from admin mode”. But it didn’t produce any output at all. Not even a hint about to what it was that it objected.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and how I can fix it?

Thank you.

P.S. After installing this game, I was very careful to remove CD3 and then insert CD1 back into the CD drive and it remained in the CD drive every time I tried to start the game. It’s still there.

If anyone is wondering why I’m posting that, it’s because it is required to keep that CD in the drive so that the game can verify it is the original authentic game and not a copy.

P.P.S.

I got it to work. I have two PCs and I installed it on the other one (which is about 2 years newer and much faster with much more memory) and it worked there. Still running Windows 7 however.

So, there is no need for anyone to post anything more to this thread.

Still, it would be nice to learn just what was wrong and maybe even to fix it.

FYI: In case anyone may be interested, here is an Everest Summary of my Older PC (the one that doesn’t play the game)

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------
Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer ADMIN-PC
Generator Admin
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.1.7601
Date 2016-03-14
Time 03:54
--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
  Operating System                                  Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition
  DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
  Computer Name                                     ADMIN-PC
  User Name                                         Admin

Motherboard:
  CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium III Xeon, 3217 MHz
  Motherboard Name                                  Unknown
  Motherboard Chipset                               Unknown
  System Memory                                     4096 MB
  BIOS Type                                         Unknown

Display:
  Video Adapter                                     AMD Radeon HD 6450
  Video Adapter                                     AMD Radeon HD 6450
  Monitor                                           Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]  (LW9AA0028553)

Multimedia:
  Audio Adapter                                     High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]
  Audio Adapter                                     High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
  IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) ICH7 Family Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
  IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
  Disk Drive                                        WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 ATA Device
  Optical Drive                                     HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS70 ATA Device

Partitions:
  C: (NTFS)                                         953766 MB (807991 MB free)
  D: (NTFS)                                         953866 MB (707940 MB free)
  Total Size                                        1862.9 GB (1480.4 GB free)

Network:
  Network Adapter                                   Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
  Network Adapter                                   Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller  (192.168.0.101)
  Network Adapter                                   VPN Client Adapter - VPN  (10.30.172.8)

Peripherals:
  Printer                                           Brother MFC-9130CW Printer
  Printer                                           Brother PC-FAX v.3.1
  Printer                                           Fax
  Printer                                           HP LaserJet Professional P 1102w
  Printer                                           Microsoft XPS Document Writer
  Printer                                           PaperPort Image Printer
  USB1 Controller                                   Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8 [NoDB]
  USB2 Controller                                   Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC [NoDB]
  USB Device                                        Micro size USB to Bluetooth Dongle
  USB Device                                        USB Composite Device

And, here is an Everest Summary of my Newer PC (the one that does play the game OK)
I have removed most of this report because I didn’t think they were necessary and they made this report extremely large:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------
Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer JOHN-PC
Generator John
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.1.7601
Date 2016-03-14
Time 03:56

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer:
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name JOHN-PC
User Name John

Motherboard:
  CPU Type                                          4x , 3385 MHz
  Motherboard Name                                  Unknown
  Motherboard Chipset                               Unknown
  System Memory                                     8160 MB
  BIOS Type                                         Unknown

Display:
  Video Adapter                                     AMD Radeon HD 7470
  Video Adapter                                     AMD Radeon HD 7470
  Monitor                                           Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]  (LAV0C0514010)

Multimedia:

Storage:
  SCSI/RAID Controller                              Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller
  Disk Drive                                        WDC WD20EARS-22MVWB0
  Disk Drive                                        Generic- Compact Flash USB Device
  Disk Drive                                        Generic- MS/MS-Pro/HG USB Device
  Disk Drive                                        Generic- SD/MMC USB Device
  Disk Drive                                        Verbatim STORE N GO USB Device
  Optical Drive                                     ATAPI DVD A  DH16ABSH

Partitions:
  C: (NTFS)                                         1889194 MB (165288 MB free)

Network:
  Network Adapter                                   Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  Network Adapter                                   TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter  (192.168.0.100)

Peripherals:
  Printer                                           Fax
  Printer                                           Microsoft XPS Document Writer
  USB1 Controller                                   Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller [NoDB]
  USB2 Controller                                   Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26 [NoDB]
  USB2 Controller                                   Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D [NoDB]
  USB Device                                        Generic USB Hub
  USB Device                                        TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter
  USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
  USB Device                                        USB Input Device
  USB Device                                        USB Mass Storage Device