MAFIA: The Road to Canterbury (Open Game; Sign-Ups)

1. Mahaloth
  2. Inner Stickler
  3. Stanislaus
  4. Babale
  5. gnarlycharly
  6. Alka Seltzer
  7. Texcat
  8. Suburban Plankton
  9. MentalGuy
  10. sinjin
  11. Enderw24
  12. Tengu
  13. Visorslash
  14. fubbleskag
  15. Mosier

Well, we need only four more players for a full roster. Later today, after my morning meeting, I’ll post the rules and the PMs.

Actually, I had more time than I thought I would. Here are the rules:

Game Summary

There will be exactly 19 players. Each player will be randomly assigned one of 19 Town roles; the full PMs and all details of each of the available roles will be public.

After randomization and delivery of all roles, one player will be randomly chosen as the first member of the Scum team, and notified of this choice by PM. This player will lose his/her PM-assigned power, and allowed to choose one tool from the list of tools available to the Scum (the list will also be publicly available, though which item is chosen will not be revealed).

Night Zero will then begin. The first Scum player will, within 24 hours of the initiation of Night Zero, then select a second Scum player. The second Scum player will then lose his/her PM-assigned power and choose one tool from the list as above. The second Scum player will then be responsible for selecting the third before being put into contact with the first.

This process will then repeat for the third and (subsequently) fourth Scum player. Once four Scum players have been chosen and have selected tools from the list, they will be permitted to meet at an off-board location. Day One will begin within approximately 24 hours of this point (depending on moderator availability), to end on a Thursday afternoon at 3:00 PM Eastern and no less than five days after the beginning of the Day.

From there, the game proceeds as usual. Days after the first will always last approximately five real-life days (from Saturday afternoon at around 3:00PM through Thursday afternoon/evening). The exact end of Day will not be stated publicly and may change from Day to Day. All votes will definitely count up until 1:00PM on the Day-ending Thursday. After 1:00PM and before 5:00PM, the Day may end at any moment, with no prior notice; any votes placed after the Dusk post will not count.

Nights will last two real-life days (Thursday through Saturday) and will have a predictable endtime (3:00PM).

Voting

Voting will be according to the accepted standard – blue votes, red unvotes. Players may have any number of active votes at a given time. Whichever player has the plurality of votes at the Day deadline will be lynched. A tie vote will result in a one-hour extension of the Day; if the vote is still tied at the conclusion of the one-hour extension, the result will be no lynch.

Voting for “No Lynch” is permitted. If a plurality of votes are for “no lynch,” then no player will be lynched on that Day.

Win Conditions

Scum win if at the beginning of any Day, the number of Scum is greater than or equal to half the number of living players, and at least one Scum player is alive.

Town wins if at the beginning of any Day, all Scum are dead, and at least one Town player is alive.

Special Notes

1. No recruitment or changes of alignment will occur at any time following Night Zero.

2. There are no public or hidden powers whatsoever that affect the vote count in any way; if there is an apparent irregularity in the vote count, it is the result of moderator error.

3. There may be one or more hidden elements in this game. However, the rules shown here are absolute in all cases; no hidden element will contradict or supersede anything explicitly stated in the rules.

4. All public reveals by the moderator are 100% accurate in all cases.

5. Powers will always resolve at the Dusk or Dawn of the Day or Night, respectively, on which they are used.

6. Death reveals will include the role and alignment of the player, as well as an indication of whether the player has used his or her powers. No additional information will be provided.

7. There are no post restrictions. As long as you are alive, you may post whatever you like, wherever you like, whenever you like. You may quote your role PM, and any PM sent to you by the moderators. You may discuss strategy by Day or by Night. If you have access to outside boards, you may post to them on any subject at any time. If someone claims a post restriction of any kind, they are lying; lynch them.

PLEASE NOTE: You are also permitted to edit your posts. Other players may frown upon a choice to do so, but the Moderator will not intervene in any case of post editing.

Cool, sign me up please.

I’m interested in playing, but I totally suck and I’ve only ever played in one other game. (It was here; the Harry Potter game, I think? I was a town sub that took over starting in Day 3 or so. But we won, so yay. I’ve read through a couple other games here, but not many.) So I’d be a total newbie. And probably bad at the game, to boot. But open games interest me, as they seem a lot clearer.

So, /in, I think? What say you all?

/in

I’m told if I need to pay my fiancee more attention she will drag me from the computer. (Of course, sometimes she just wants the computer…)

Regarding the bolded section: Can you clarify how this relates to PMs between players? Will this be allowed?

No. I mean, I can’t enforce it, because how can I know if players are PM-ing one another? But players are asked to refrain from private communication on the honor system, I guess.

Meanwhile:

1. Mahaloth
  2. Inner Stickler
  3. Stanislaus
  4. Babale
  5. gnarlycharly
  6. Alka Seltzer
  7. Texcat
  8. Suburban Plankton
  9. MentalGuy
  10. sinjin
  11. Enderw24
  12. Tengu
  13. Visorslash
  14. fubbleskag
  15. Mosier
  16. KellyCriterion
  17. Snickers
  18. MHaye

We need only one more. Assuming we get the one more we need, Night Zero might start as soon as today or tomorrow. As you can see from the rules, there’s a lot of stuff that will need to happen on Night Zero, so it will be as long as it needs to be to accommodate said stuff.

I say, the more the merrier. I’ve played loads of games and I’m still crap so.

I have a feeling that no matter how many rules or explanations are given, I’m going to be confused until I actually start playing the game.

Wow. Very interesting setup.

I admire it and I’m fascinated to see how it plays out; allowing selection of three-quarters of the scum team (and allowing them each to choose what tools they use) is a pretty big thing for the scum. I assume it’ll be balanced out by all the one-shot town powers.

Very interesting, looking forward to seeing the roles.

For the new players, are their any Mafia guides or glossaries people would recommend?

A hand-picked Scum team can help them or hurt them, because it opens up the train of thought “If I were Scum, who would I want on my team?”, which could potentially steer Townies towards the Scum. Of course, there’s plenty of Wine in Front of Me here.

That’s just what scum would say. Lynch him!

We used to have a group specific wiki that was mafiagameswiki or something but I think it went down. There’s mafiascum.net and they have a companion wiki that’s pretty good.

See, you’re getting the hang of it already.

Vote Enderw24

• Chronos hasn’t signed up to play.
  • Roles haven’t been assigned.
  • We haven’t started the game yet.

Clearly, anyone wanting to lynch at this stage must be scum looking for an easy case to make. Lynch him!

Looking at the player list, it seems to be fairly evenly split between ‘long-time players here’, ‘relative newcomers’, and ‘names I don’t recognize at all’. The random choice of Scum #1 may mane a big difference in the makeup of the Scum team; I imagine that a ‘Mahaloth Scum Team’ might turn out to be radically different than an ‘Enderw24 Scum Team’, for example.

All of which may make for good conversation, but ultimately I think will be pretty much irrelevant.

I’m still working on the powers for the 19th role. However, if you go here:

You can see the other 18 roles, a list of the tools from which the Scum team (The Brotherhood) will select four, the rules as posted above, and information on a special gameplay concept (The Seraph). Other than the powers for Role 19, the setup is more or less finished, though I will happily take any feedback that is sent to me by PM either on this board or the other (I’d prefer not to entertain out-of-game discussion on the setup, since in-game discussion of the setup will begin shortly and why steal thunder?).

I notice the first 3 roles all have exactly the same power listed…is that a common thing?

Great job on the role colour, and very intriguing.

It’s unusual. In most games there are only a small number of power roles, but most of them are able to use their power every night.

So I’m confused as to the alignment and the interrogation. How does that come into play?