Major Blow Job for Hawaii

Hurricane Lane. Category 4 right now. Looks like it will be here by Thursday. The Big Island and Maui will almost certainly take a hit, and schools and government offices have already announced they’ll all be closed for the rest of this week from tomorrow. Oahu and Kauai? Remains to be seen. Heavy rain to be sure. After-school activities are being canceled, and they’re waiting to see developments before deciding further measures.

Do most hurricanes follow this track into the islands, generally speaking?

I know we’ve got several Dopers out there on the Big Island. Stay safe everyone and check in when you can.

Generally, yes, most tropical storms and hurricanes in the area of the Pacific around Hawaii move in a southeast-to-northwest direction, though most of the ones over the past few decades are closer to an east-to-west track than Lane looks to be following.

I found this map on the NOAA site, showing the tracks of every tropical storm and hurricane that has hit or come close to Hawaii since 1950, and you can see what the usual tracks are.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/pages/Climo_files/image009.jpg

Hurricane Hector passed south of Hawaii last week, just making it godawful humid while it was in the neighborhood. After Lane, one or two more are lined up to follow the same track.

Good luck! I don’t have anything to contribute, except to hope you all stay safe in the coming storm.

The wind does appear to be picking up outside, but this is only Tuesday night, so dunno if that’s related.

We’re all urged to keep supplies of food, water and batteries and to have a Hurricane Plan. There are a lot of elderly in our complex, and for the wife and I, our Hurricane Plan is to mug them for their supplies.

How often does Hawaii get hit with hurricanes? Because I never hear about it on the news. (Except for the one mentioned in the OP)

Direct landfall in Hawaii is pretty uncommon. The Wikipedia entry on the topic shows that there’ve been only three recorded hurricane landfalls in Hawaii until now (plus three tropical storms, and four depressions).

The strongest one (and the last one, until Lane) was Iniki, a Cat 4, in 1992, which did tremendous damage on Kaua’i, where it made landfall. It hit on the final scheduled day of shooting of the original Jurassic Park film, and Spielberg used footage of the storm in the film.

Safe so far, but of course that can change quickly.

I had two music classes I was scheduled to teach tomorrow, at 4pm and 5pm. I just canceled both.

Hopefully, it’ll put out the volcano…

Here’s wishing for a last minute wide turn away — keep yer heads down all the same and try to be away from water’s edge.

And, Darren Garrison, sure, that’s just what’s needed, 140mph steam .

Sounds prudent.

:frowning:

Everything the Navy has that can move is putting out to sea from Pearl Harbor.

I saw what happened to Kaua’i after Iniki, it wasn’t good. Think pad where the house stood, and some of the chimney, with a pile of debris in the side yard.

Right now the storm is well over 100 miles south of South Point on the Big Island. Where I have a home is 7 miles north of Hilo on the eastern part of the island. The forecast looks like the east coast, Puna, Hilo and the long Hamakua coast will be safe from any damage. It will rain a lot; it will be windy at times, but I’m not expecting anything out of the ordinary. We get well in excess of 100 inches of rain a year.

Check out Akaka Falls if you get a chance. It’s about 5 minutes from our house so we just drove over. The parking lot is closed, but there is nothing keeping the hardy from parking along side the road and taking a quick peek at the falls from the area where the path starts. It is unrecognizable as the usual falls - much wider and more torrential. Kinda fun to see when you know what it ordinarily looks like.

If Akaka is like that now, I can’t imagine what it will be like Friday when the rain is predicted to peak. The only problem at that time might be that the road up there could disappear under a river of rain. I’ll bet Rainbow is pumping as well, not to mention the back wall at Waipio Valley (Hiilawe falls). https://www.hawaii-guide.com/big-island/sights/hiilawe_falls

Stay safe, Big Island! You and Maui are starting to feel the effects, I hear.

Home now. Probably for the duration. All bus service will be suspended from 6pm Thursday through at least Friday. All schools and government offices will be closed Thursday and Friday. Libraries, the zoo, you name it. Everyone is supposed to stay off the roads. Everything is shutting down.

If this one does fizzle out – not looking likely – there are a couple more starting to form in the East Pacific.

Everyone be safe!

Wow. My house has a stream on one side and a small creek on the other. Last night I couldn’t sleep, so loud was the roar of rain and rushing water. A few minutes ago, we took a walk along Highway 19 to see the conditions. There is a big landslide not too far from our house, although they’ve cleaned it up enough that one lane is useable by cars.

Even as I write, the rain and wind are picking up. Everything in the house feels damp. And the hurricane has stalled, meaning we get MORE rain. It’s a day to stay home and play Settlers of Catan. (Luckily I did a huge grocery run last week, so we’re in no danger of needing to eat the cat.)