Major League Baseball: The 2010 Playoffs

[quote=“astorian, post:58, topic:556197”]

Don’t assume I was saying the fans (or, more precisely, the people who didn’t go) were the ones I held in disgrace.

It’s hard to tell what really happened. Certainly he didn’t have Tommy John surgery in 2007 just because he didn’t feel like pitching. But there’s a sense that he didn’t make much of an effort to get back to the team when he had minor injuries. To me, it’s telling that it’s not just the fans who felt that way - the players and Joe Torre did, too.

Buster Posey was out at second.

Tim Lincecum was ridiculous.

And please stop talking about the Braves defense. You don’t have to rub it in.

Posey wasn’t just out, but pretty clearly out. You could see when it happened in real time that he was out.

Lincecum was very ridiculous.

And I hate to be Mr. Stats, but Atlanta’s defense isn’t awful. Yes, they were third in the league in errors, but they were also third in the league in turning double plays despite not giving up very many baserunners, which is really valuable and which effectively cancels the errors out. Their defensive efficiency was dead average. By any analytical measure they’re an OK defensive team.

How many of those were induced by DLowe?

What’s especially ridiculous is how many K’s Lincecum got on pitches outside the strike zone (I really like TBS’s pitch tracker, btw).

I thought the Giants inability to get Posey home from 3B with nobody out would bite them in the ass. I was wrong. :slight_smile:

I’m fine with stats, particularly when they’re good ones. Errors aren’t a good defensive stat.

But I sure am missing Martin Prado, for example. The Braves right now are a worse defensive team than they were earlier in the year.

Twins fans, please chime in. Does Target Field have grass or turf? I had always assumed it was grass, but I thought one of the announcers referred to it as artificial turf in the pregame for game 1. It’s really hard to tell, the mowing patterns suggest grass but I suppose those could be replicated on turf with a roller, I didn’t see any blades of grass flying nor did I see the tell-tell black puffs underfoot like you see with FieldTurf.

Don’t forget Chipper… I know he’s at the end of his line… but Infante booted that ball that Chipper probably would have gotten… The Bravos are throwing out a B team right now… No Chip. no Prado… a worn out Infante… and I’m still waiting for Derek Lee to show up… Somebody… come on…

The only thing worse to my sox losing to the twinkies is knowing how they’ll crap the bed against the Yankees… and then to add to my injury… Kerry Wood… YOU SOB… if you had worked WORKED… you’d be adding to a legend with the Cubbies… What more could the North Siders have done for you…

Five dollar arm… twenty five cent head…

It’s grass.

Any?

According to fangraphs.com, Atlanta was 26th out of 30 MLB teams in UZR/150.

Man. Ugly game. Phillies had some bad playing early in the game. Shocking to see Utley make two errors in on inning! And, Oswalt got a few good pitches in there, but he really didn’t have his best stuff.

When he left the game things seemed to clear up. No more errors. Better pitching.

And Arroyo was awesome for the first few inning. But, then things just started to fall apart.
There were a lot of errors. But, man, more surprisingly, three hit batsmen?! Crazy!

Just watched that Cox ejection play at first in the Giants game. He really looked safe. But, it’s the kind of bang bang quick play that can be forgiven. It just sucks that it is the same ump as last night’s (what looked to me like) blown call on the stolen base.

Posey was definitely out last night, and I’m annoyed that that was how the Giants scored their only run.

And then Bobby Cox gets ejected arguing a perfectly accurate call tonight? I am scratching my head over his decision-making.

The Giants lead the world in hitting into double plays…and I think Buster Posey’s, with the winning run on 3B, may have cost them the series.

sigh

Sunday’s got to be a better day!

Rangers lose their first game to the Rays due to our pitchers falling apart and us not hitting enough. Tomorrow Tommy Hunter pitches. Hopefully that’ll be a better choice and the end to this series.

Minnesota Twits TTFN gone.

The Twinkies were terrible. TERRIBLE! What, they ended up being 1-13 with runners in scoring position?? They had a better record, plenty of hits, runs during the season and they’re afraid of pinstripes? Shit, The Twins wear the pinstripes too.

Yankees (sad to say it) played solid baseball, great defense, good hitting. At least I was right about Kerry Wood STILL sucking. If I were Girardi, I’d keep him off the roster.

Anyway, Phils win in Cincy tomorrow!! (Sorry Reds!)

I hope the Rays-Rangers goes the full five now. With maybe a 16-inning Game 5 thrown in for fun…