Make that TWO movies that he's ruined.

I’ve noe seen this quote twice, attributing it to the official Star Wars website:
“While George Lucas is still working on the script for the next film, and the start of general casting is still several months away, several actors are already clearing their schedules to be available for filming in Australia and on location next summer. Among them, we’re happy to confirm, is Ahmed Best as Jar Jar Binks (my emphasis), who will be rejoining Ewan McGregor (playing Obi-Wan Kenobi) and Natalie Portman (as Queen Amidala) for Star Wars: Episode II.”

WHY?

I don’t want to come across as a raving fanboy, but why bring back Jar-Jar? Every time I saw him on screen, all I could think was that the character was equal parts Erkel and Scrappy Doo. He added NOTHING to the movie. I would’ve thought that this- http://www.theonion.com/onion3527/jarjar_merchandise.html -would’ve given Lucas a hint.

Or this: http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0899/toy.html

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Problem is, little kids actually like Jar Jar, much as we liked Chewie. Don’t know why. As a result, even though we grown-ups can’t stand him, I’d bring him back too.

There’s a difference between appealing to kids and pandering to kids. Come on- two jedi knights are on a low-profile mission so they bring along a clumsy, irascible alien as a guide?

Maybe Lucas is going to appease the raving fanboys and kill him off in Episode II…

A clumsy, irascible alien that ended up helping the Queen to ally with the Gungans, so their army could distract the battle droid army and allow the Queen and the Jedi to enter Theed and capture the Viceroy. You telling me you know more about the Force and its workings then two Jedi? Ha!

“Come on, Phonics Monkey–drum!”

Aw, Phil, don’t spoil it for me. :wink: I’m ashamed to admit that, yes, I actually haven’t seen SW: Episode One yet. Does anyone know when it will come out on video?

Couldn’t agree with you more Mojo. Jar Jar is a large part of what ruined Star Wars for me.

“I would far rather be ignorant than wise in the foreboding of evil.”

-Æschylus. 525-456 B. C.

Tough. Live with it. It’s not your movie. Certainly George doesn’t care what anyone else thinks of Jar Jar. The kids love him, that was the reason for the character and it worked.

I liked Jar Jar, and his return probably won’t be prominent, most likely he’ll be one of the friends of Anakin that’ll be rejected, making for a touching scene.

-PIGEONMAN-
Hero For A New Millennium!

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat

There are rumors that it will come out on video in March. Possibly at a sell-through price (less than $20).

If that is the case, the official announcement will be made soon. Release dates are usually announced at least 2 months ahead of time.

Jac

Woo-hoo! Thanks for the info, Jack.