make your own website?

Is it really difficult to establish
your own website? If not, how would
you start one up and would you
need to be computer savvy to do it?

its not diffuclt at all actually. tripod dot com will give you 11 free megs of web space. ive been building a site for a while now. contact wdooley295@aol.com for details on the how to.

Either let me fly or give me death
Let my soul rest-take my breath
if i dont fly ima die anyway
Ima live on but ill be gone anyday

DARK MAN X

mikNY:

It’s not very hard at all. There are zillions of sites that have tutorials for how to do it. Here’s one I found at random: http://www.cwru.edu/help/introHTML/toc.html.

HTH,

k0myers

If it was that hard, do you think there’d really be 2.5 million webpages out there about people’s cats and CD collection? :wink:

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

“If it was that hard, do you think there’d really be 2.5 million webpages out there about people’s cats and CD collection?”
—Jophiel

So that’s what a website’s for? :slight_smile:
I have one with my ISP, but never knew what to do with it. Do others actually come and look?
Peace,
mangeorge

Work like you don’t need the money…
Love like you’ve never been hurt…
Dance like nobody’s watching! …Unknown

They do if you tell them about it.

If you think yours would be interesting to people outside of your friends and family, you can submit it to search engines.

I can beat you, Mars: Crosswinds ( http://www.crosswinds.net ) give unlimited free webspace. There’s another that does also, but I forget who.

thanks kat!!!

Either let me fly or give me death
Let my soul rest-take my breath
if i dont fly ima die anyway
Ima live on but ill be gone anyday

DARK MAN X

OK People!

I don’t really think there’s that much mystery to launching a website, but I currently don’t know how. That said, I’m going to, w/in the next 4 weeks.

Updates to follow…

It will take about 1-2 months of training before you get really good at it. You need to learn HTML and it would be a good idea as a beginner to get with either your ISP or Geocities and get a website domain with their free service.

I highly reccomend the book “Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML 3.2 In a Week” by Laura Lemay. The book is a little out of date but she writes so anyone, even me, can understand.

Once you get started be ready to commit to many long hours if you plan on keeping it updated. I haven’t been able to update mine in two months because what you have to do is write your text, then assign HTML tags to everything, and it’s a pain in the ass.

I did my website about 60 days after picking up this book (OK she means in a “week” if you dont have a job!) Feel free to check it out at:

http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill/parliament/1685

It’s relatively easy if you use webpage publishing software (I use AOLPress), and you will learn the html as you go by looking at what the program does at each step). You should also have graphics/photo software (PaintShop Pro, etc.), and an ftp program helps too. All this can be yours for free (shareware), just search for it.

Gary

“Basses do it lower”
Homepage: http://members.aol.com/Toymkr47/Index.htm

You don’t have to know anything about html if all you want to do is a kitty-kat and family pic layout. Claris Corp’s “Homepage” software lets you do all that stuff using a GUI. You can even do frames and submit tables, etc. if you’re a mind. Your page might look bit amateurish, but hey, that’s never stopped anyone as far as I can tell.

Ahh web page authoring is not hard. I use Netscape Communicators web page editor. I would do it by hand if i didnt have a club page, and all of my other web pages to maintain (Yes, i am lazy :)). However i reccomend you start off learning basic HTML because it helps you to understand just what that web page editor is doing (When i did my first homepage i did it all the HTML by hand).

Also depending who you want to reach, keep it simple.For instance, one of the nifty things you can do on your web page is use java. Java is not necessary, unless you have a specific and important use for it (time and time again i have come across an amateur page that used lots of java and took so damn long to load because of it).