Makeitstop Makeitstop Makeitstop

A spoon clinking then scraping across the bottom of a dish. Someone eating ice cream:
CLINK!..SCREEEEEETCH!..CLINK!..SCREEEEEEETCH!
I can’t stand to hear my husband clip his toenails. If he did it at a normal pace, it wouldn’t be so bad.
CLIP!..(long pause)…CLIP!..

I would never judge another Doper (ahem), so I won’t say that I think you are a bad man. But boy oh boy are you living in the wrong city/state, if you don’t want to hear any babies crying.
In SLC, you pretty much have to stay out of Target, Wal-Mart, Shopko, Fred Meyer and most public places, or you are gonna run into at least one of those families dragging along their 12 kids to the market. I would suggest earplugs, lots and lots of earplugs.

As for my sounds, it would be a tie between mouthbreathers and people who chew with their mouth open.

Two pieces of hollow unglazed ceramic rubbing together.

Just thinking of this gives me the willies…

That’d be the horizontal scan at approximately 15 kHz. If you can hear it, you haven’t wrecked your hearing with too much headphone music…

I’ll bet you don’t like the Joe Ely song Fingernails, right?

http://www.ely.com/EarlyAlbums.html#Fingernails

I keep my fingernails long
So they click when I play the piano"

I have the amazing ability to be irratated by just about anything.
Depends on my mood.
:wink:

Oh yes. There’s one ad in particular that used the same alarm I do, and I actually twitched the first time I heard it. I’ve blocked the product itself from my mind in protest.
I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night, and when my alarm went off I snapped awake and switched on my bedside lamp, then spent a few bleary moments in a daze trying to figure out why the alarm wasn’t going off.

I despise the sound of people eating with their mouths open. Smack smack smack. Actually, I also hate the sound of someone sucking on a lozenge or hard candy, rolling it around their mouths, clinking against their teeth, fiendishly slurping their saliva.

Napkins or tissues rubbing across teeth or gums. I don’t know if it’s the sound or the image, but either way I can’t stand just thinking about it.

Hearing Fran Drescher’s voice.

Thank the good Lord that her 15 minutes of fame are apparently over.

Folding paper. The SSSSSSSSSSSSSt sound of the fingers running over the paper wigs me right out. If I know the person who’s folding I scream “STOP IT!” and grab the offending paper from them. If I don’t know the person well, I’ll just grit my teeth and bear it. Once. Every once in a while someone will just stand there and absentmindedly fold, fold, fold. At that point whether I know them or not I’ll ask them to “please stop that–it’s like fingernails on a blackboard for me!” I always get a funny look.

If I need to fold paper I have to put it flat on a table, fold it over onto itself and gently press the paper until it stays flat.

People singing along to music, but not really singing. I have one friend who does this in the car … about every eight words, she’ll let out a breathy noise that is rather like, but not quite, singing.

SING OR BE SILENT!

The pens with no ink, and the sound the TV makes on mute are also high on my list, but the singing-under-one’s-breath is my MAKEITSTOP noise for sure.