Mama Said Knock Bush Out: Political Theme Songs

This article discusses the selection of theme songs for the Democratic political candidates…

Apparently, we have:
[ul]
[li]Lieberman: “We Are Family” by Sister Sledge[/li][li]Edwards: “I’m a Believer” as covered by Smashmouth[/li][li]Sharpton: “Get Up, Stand Up” by Bob Marley[/li][li]Moseley Braun: “You Gotta Be” by Desiree[/li][li]Kucinich: “Imagine” by John Lennon[/li][li]Dean: “Little Less Conversation,” as performed by Elvis Presley and remixed by Junkie XL[/li][li]And to quote the article: Senator Bob Graham of Florida has revived a 19th-century tradition of original jingles; on the trail, he has been known to croon “We’ve Got a Friend in Bob Graham.”[/li][/ul]

Among the suggestions for John Kerry are:

Surely we can do better than all these choices! What are your thoughts on the above choices, and what do you suggest instead?

(Since it’s a music thread, I’m hoping Cafe Society can handle this thread without it getting politically unpleasant.)

Anyone else remember “Read My Lips” from the days of Bush I, a little thing put together by Don Was, I think? Who knew the elder Bush had that rappin’ talent? :wink:

As to the OP, I think Marley is too mellow for Sharpton. It’s a good song, but doesn’t “go” with Sharpton’s campaign or his platform. Something by James Brown seems more appropriately loud, perhaps “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag”?

“Walk This Way” sounds pretty good for Kerry, actually.

Dean should be using U2’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”… it has that anthem-quality to it and seems to suit him.

I’m convinced that a brilliant ad campaign is waiting to be born. James Brown’s “Talking Loud and Saying Nothing” would play underneath clips and images delineating the sour economic stats under GWB, punctuated by his unchanging prescription of tax cuts and empty catchphrases:

"You can’t tell me how to run my life down
you can’t tell me how to keep my business sound
you can’t tell me what I’m doing wrong
when you keep jivin’ and singing that same old funny song

like a dull knife, you just ain’t cuttin’
you’re just talking loud, and saying nothin’"

I’ve often thought that “Democracy” by Leonard Cohen would be a great campaign theme song, not that any candidate would have the guts to use it:

*It’s coming from the sorrow on the street,
the holy places where the races meet;
from the homicidal bitchin
that goes down in every kitchen
to determine who will serve and who will eat…

It’s coming to America first,
the cradle of the best and the worst.
It’s here they got the range
and the machinery for change
and it’s here they got the spiritual thirst…

Democracy is coming to the U.S.A*

Of course, in my more cynical moments I think that “Everybody Knows” would be more appropriate:

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking.
Everybody knows that the captain lied…

C’mon, they’re all running against Bush, here.

All any of them need is ‘Fortunate Son’ by CCR.

“It ain’t me…it ain’t me
I ain’t no Senator/millionaire/military son
It ain’t me…it ain’t me
I ain’t no fortunate one”

It’s appropriate to almost any occasion, too!

You never know – how many candidates have used Springstein’s “Born in the USA” for a theme song? They just play the chorus, and cut away before anyone listens to the rest of the song…

right on. Bush is the most fortunate son/ village idiot in America… and the most dangerous. the man needs a long term of incarceration. heh.