Man/Woman creative teams who were NOT romantically involved.

So many man/woman creative teams have included a romantic relationship.

Burns and Allen

Goffin and King

Scorsese and De Fina

Stiller and Meara

Woody Allen and Diane Keaton

Woody Allen and Mia Farrow

and a bunch more

Who can think of man/woman creative teams that existed without a romantic relationship?

I can think of:

Nichols and May

John and Mary

. . . Can’t think of any more. Who knows some?

Also acceptable would be creative partnerships of partners of the same sex who are both gay, but not a couple. Are the Indigo Girls a couple?

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (a man) wrote several fantasy best-sellers together. I think they both had spouses and as far as I know, where not an item.

The only possible one that springs to mind are Deborah Kaplan & Harry Elfont, who co-wrote and directed Can’t Hardly Wait and Josie & the Pussycats. Kaplan is married to Breckin Meyer, so the two are clearly not a romatic item at the moment.

On the other hand, I don’t know if the two still work together. Their last produced screenplay was Surviving Christmas which was, judging from the credits on IMDB, significantly rewritten by another team and I’m pretty certain that the film was sitting on the shelf for at least a year before it was released (or escaped).

Do Donny and Marie qualify as a creative team? (Okay, probably not.)

Coon, Roddenberry, and Fontana

Betty Comden and Adolph Green, who wrote the books or screenplays to On the Town, Singin’ in the Rain, The Bandwagon, and many other classic musicals.

Actor-director Paul Bartel and actress Mary Woronov worked together on seventeen movies (Eating Raoul, Death Race 2000).

Penny Singleton and Arthur Lake starred in seventeen “Blondie” movies between 1939 and 1950.

Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan

When my friend Vicki and I get published! :slight_smile:

I don’t have time to search for a cite, but I remember reading an interview with Emily Saliers, in which she says that she and Amy Ray have never been anything more than friends.

Peter Jackson and Phillipa Boyens. Or maybe it’s the other woman (whose name escapes me) he’s not married to. Well, he’s not married to both of them.

The more I think about this, the more it seems that there aren’t all that many male/female creative teams in the first place. I can think of a few singer/songwriter teams, but I’m not sure as to the relationship status of any of them.

Dolly Parton and Porter Wagner weren’t a romantic item, were they?

Pop-Up Video said the same thing, if that counts as a cite. :slight_smile:

How about Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca, a pretty good comedy team!

And how about Enya & Nicky Ryan? They’ve written a lot of songs together, and he’s produced most of her albums, but they’re not romantically connected (in fact, Nicky’s wife Roma writes some of Enya’s lyrics).

Another: Peter Yarrow, Paul Stookey and Mary Travers have performed and written songs together for over four decades, but as far as I know, no one in the trio ever hooked up with anyone else in the trio (they all married other people outside the group).

Rob Reiner and Nora Ephron aren’t involved, are they?

Myrna Culbreath and Sondra Marshak are each too busy pining for the weeping-male Alpha hero to think about each other

What about The Eurythmics, Annie Lennox and Dave whatshisname? We’re they every romantically linked?

Yep. From AMG:

How about Torvill and Dean?

Richard and Karen Carpenter were siblings, not spouses.