Mandalorian Season 2 Thread [Open Spoilers]

Dumb question, but would that be prudent? Like, wouldn’t I be totally lost?

I’m slightly hesitant to start the series from the beginning because 100+ episodes of TV seems daunting (especially for Mrs. Cups who isn’t as in to Star Wars and even less into animation), but I also think starting literally at the end would leave me/us too lost.

I did see that Disney+ has a “20 episodes of the clone wars you need to watch” section. Anyone here know the series enough to speak to if I should just do that?

I don’t think it’s necessary to watch the entire 100 episodes either, there are entire arcs that are basically filler and feel made entirely for kids. Not sure cutting it down to 20 would cover enough either really though. Frankly the only alternative I could see would be having who has watched the series go over the entire list and pick out the filler episodes. Right of the bat you can throw out every Jar Jar and droid based episode and it would cut down the total to about 80.

Not really. It would be more or less the way Star Wars stuff is released anyway, jumoing all over the place in the SW timeline. (The movies came out 6,7,8,1,2,3,9,4,10,5,11). And frankly, to me the actual cone-centric episodes are crap. In season seven I watched the first episode, saw that it was more clone crap, then skipped the rest of that arc. So when I recommend watching season 7 first, I really recommend watching episodes 5-12 of season 7 first. Then watch the series Rebels.

The rest of the series is pretty much filler.

Just to be clear, because your numbering isn’t the official chapter numbering, by order of release:
4 (A New Hope)
5 (Empire Strikes Back)
6 (Return of the Jedi)
1 (Phantom Menace)
2 (Attack of the Clones)
3 (Revenge of the Sith)
7 (Force Awakens)
Rogue One
8 (Last Jedi)
Solo
9 (Rise of Skywalker)

The “chapter” numbers are, of course, the in-universe order of the stories, and each of the trilogies was released in proper chronological order within that triology. For the two films that aren’t numbered: Rogue One takes place immediately before A New Hope; Solo takes place from 13 to 10 years before A New Hope.

By mine.

6 (A New Hope)
7 (Empire Strikes Back)
8 (Return of the Jedi)
1 (Phantom Menace)
2 (Attack of the Clones)
3 (Revenge of the Sith)
9 (Force Awakens)
5 Rogue One
10 (Last Jedi)
4 Solo
11 (Rise of Skywalker)

I got 5 and 4 flipped.

I realized, after I’d first posted, that you weren’t referring to the numbers as used by the films, but were numbering them based on their in-universe order (to date). I edited my post while you were writing yours. Sorry about that!

But I guess I really should have included the Clone Wars animated movie on that list, too, since it did get a (limited) theatrical release and was the introduction of Ahsoka. So 12 movies jumping all over the place, not 11. Not to mention 3 canon animated series squeezed in between some of them. And of course The Mandalorian squeezed in between RotJ and TFA. And the supposed upcoming Kenobi series squeezed in between RotS and RO.

Ok, so that was great, but still, I feel the fan service is getting a bit much—kinda gets to feeling like Disney is desperately trying to sell the whole package.

Still disappointed that none of the HK-87(?) droids addressed anyone as ‘meatbag’, though.

For the record, and for whatever it’s worth, I strongly disagree with Darren_Garrison on the quality of the clone trooper episodes. I personally thought those were among the best. And I although I came to really like Ahsoka’s character, I thought her Season 7 arc was just kinda dumb. I got the point of what they were trying to do, and I liked where they were trying to take Ahsoka’s character, but I thought the actual episodes themselves were just kinda dumb.

Still, I think if you just want to concentrate on the Ahsoka-centered episodes, the guide Darren_Garrison linked in post 244 is pretty good.

And again, just my personal opinion, but I think it’s worth being aware going in that the series gets much better, in terms of writing and definitely in terms of the quality of animation, as it goes along, and Ahsoka’s character goes from Annoying Kid Sidekick to probably the best developed character in the series.

So I have a theory about where the creation of the character of Ahsoka came from.

Originally in The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda says that Luke is not the last hope, there is “another”, but at that point who the “other” was going to be was not finally determined. Some say Lucas was planning on it being Luke’s sister, but not Leia. It was ultimately decided for it to be Leia, but that was not the original plan.

So my theory is that the “Other” was potentially going to be Anakin’s former apprentice. Who better to be able to skewer Vader’s vulnerabilities than they? And though ultimately that “Other” idea was abandoned for Leia instead, I think the creation of Ahsoka in The Clone Wars still uses that idea, that Ahsoka is out-and-about in the galaxy, a Jedi who is not a Jedi, who has a close attachment to Anakin, and could have been a key contributor to his downfall.

And now that her focus is shifted to Ezra Bridger’s fate instead, it still sort-of borrows that same idea, that she has a central role to play in dismantling a threat to the New Republic, i.e. Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Anyway, that’s my theory, that they have drawn Ahsoka from unused ideas and re-imagined them for a new storyline.

I hope there is a live-action spin-off planned. It was assumed the continuation of Ezra’s story would be in animation, but now it’s clear that it doesn’t have to be.

[quote=“DSeid, post:223, topic:922794, full:true”]
Anyone else think that it was out of character to have Din so easily accept the “go to this next place” answer to Ahsoka’s not honoring the deal made? [/quote]

This is the way.

I mean what else does he have to do with his time?

Was this poster for a Star Wars holiday film on the Lifetime network? :grin:

I was hoping it would be a limited series on Disney+.

There’s already a novel with the same title, which I didn’t realise when I was making it, but I wasn’t assuming they’d use the same story. I just figure there’s an interesting tale to be told about Leia as a 17yr old, where we can learn about Alderaan and her role as a feisty Galactic Diplomat.

Just a quick drive by to say that the Thrawn drop had me squeeing. Hoping we see him in this series soon.

My guess would be that he’s probably going to be revealed as Moff Gideon’s boss.

I guess that’s all well and good. My only complaint is that The Mandalorian is starting to feel more like an SW Extended Universe sampler than a cohesive story. Which I guess is fine. It just kind of makes SW Episodes 7 through 9 seem that much suckier.

I don’t think so. I’ve been piecing together a little bit of the fan theories and rumors and there’s a suggestion that there will be a new Ahsoka Tano series and Thrawn will probably be the big bad of that. Also, I think in this part of the timeline the remnants of the Empire are highly fragmented and in many ways they are in contention for control. I suspect that Thrawn will be leading one cohort and Gideon will be a part of a different cohort. I think Gideon is actually working for what will become the First Order of the movies, but Thrawn has a different agenda.

I think you need to adjust your expectations. This is an open ended series. It’s not a movie, or a epic trilogy, delivered in 35-minute bites. It’s a episodic exploration of the world, it’s more X-Files or Star Trek than it is say Game of Thrones or Stranger Things. I don’t think there’s going to be a clear cut end to the journey and a lot of episodes will read more like the old “monster of the week” installments of the X-Files which are fun and interesting, but don’t attempt to move the big arc forward. That’s just what this is.

Also, not really sure what you’re getting at with the “Extended Universe” thing. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a single character other than Thrawn who was from the EU (now called Legends) and he was re-canonized back in Rebels.

The sequel trilogy is an abortion, so I’m not sure anything can be done to make it worse. If the Mandalorian lays the groundwork for a reboot or at least sets up an alternative story that can become a new trilogy in the same timeframe let’s count ourselves fortunate.