March 14th - Happy Pi Day everyone!!

Big grins :smiley:

Welcome to the board. I’d so love to have been involved with your college Pi day event. I’ll bet that there were sliderule smackdowns involved. Yes, I do own a sliderule and I know how to use it. (sliderules are better than a ruler for smacking my clerk around, sliderules extend)

Histrion nice job. Now I’m going to be messing around with that. For the record, using my tape measure and a beer can, Pi is now proved to be 3.2. What this proves is:

1. I’m not using a good measuring tool.
  2. I’m measureing the outside and not the real circumference.
  3. I forgot what I should be saying here.
  4. Beer makes me think I’m smarter than other people think I am :smack:
  1. When you went to measure the diameter, you didn’t cross the exact center of the circle. That made your diameter too small, which led to a figure for π that was too big.

I have my dad’s Post/Hemi Versalog from his college days. Beautiful thing.

I also have a plastic Pickett. And a similar model from thinkgeek.com, which is modeled after the Pickett and even includes the Pickett instructions, but is more cheaply made - the rules on one side don’t line up well with the ones on the other, and the numbers rub off when you try to vaseline the center piece. :smack:

They mostly are.

*waits to see who jumps down my throat – check the post title :wink: *

ahem…And just what is the gender of those involved in this gladitorial geek fight?

Well, I’m male. Haven’t looked at anyone else’s bits.

Geez, I’m ornery tonight.

nuff’ said (nose in the air and hair toss followed by a forgive me grin).

Oh, don’t worry - I only say that women are mostly irrational as the conclusion of a syllogism whose first premise is that people are mostly irrational. :stuck_out_tongue:

IMO, the best part of this sort of communication is that people don’t look at my boobs and think that I can’t think. I’m not irrational, I’m transcendental :cool:

Surrounded…you have a PM.

going back to my beer can. well a different one, the last one had a hole in it. anyhow…now using a compas and a good ruler. Pi is 3.47

Beer is good. taling math while imbiding is not so good.

As long as you know that :slight_smile: Don’t let me stop you doing something you like. I looked through my notes for that maths subject, but couldn’t find any easy way to calculate pi by hand. If you’re going to use a computer, Richardson extrapolation and Romberg integration are very useful though.

Here’s how it works:

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, flatlined, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

I’m so cracking up now. No beer involved, but laughing hard enough to have water coming out of my eyes. Is it ok if I steal that to use at work tomorrow?