Marilyn Manson didn't really think this one through -

Not every idea should be followed through with … He looks like a hapless frat rat who got drunk and was scrawled on by his buddies.

Considering that these days the paparazzi doesn’t let little things like death-defying high-speed car chases dissuade them from getting photos, we’re not sure why Marilyn Manson thought a curse word would vanquish them, but hey, nice try.

Another view

And another

I suspect he got out of it exactly what he intended, people to talk about him once more.

I have a feeling that he knew exactly how many photographs of him they would take with a giant curseword scrawled on his face.

Lots more than they would have if he hadn’t.

The man may not look it, but he’s really quite bright, and he knows how to get attention when he wants it. It may not seem like “good” attention from a normal-person perspective, but he’s Marilyn freaking Manson - half the USA thinks he’s possessed by Satan already, so it’s not like it’s going to hurt his reputation any!

My thoughts exactly. Marilyn Manson was a big deal - what? - fourteen years ago? He’d probably have to pay the paparazzi himself to get them to bother taking his photo. This stunt just screams “Pay attention to me - PLEASE!!!”

I can’t remember a single thread ever where Marilyn Manson’s name has been mentioned without a dozen Dopers racing to be the first one to pontificate about his utter brilliance…

Lasciel, I am not trying to be a jerk to you here or single you out, (and I know you didn’t go on and on about his staggering intellect the way some other Dopers have over the years) but as soon as I read MM’s name I bet myself a cold 6 pack that it would be under 20 minutes until someone chimed in about what a smart chap Manson is. I guess it will be just be something cheap like Bohemia or Sierra Nevada, 'cause it was such an easy bet.

I don’t know if Marilyn Manson is really smart or not, but he is clearly a master of self-promotion, as he has convinced millions of pimply-faced 15 year-olds that he is actually a competent musician and has a lot of SDMB members buying the story that he is one of rock-n-roll’s Great Thinkers.

Maybe it’s just the angle, but MM looks like he’s getting chunky.

In the 1960s, Abbie Hoffman would scrawl “FUCK” across his forehead when he didn’t want his image to appear in the newspapers or on TV.
Times have changed since then.

(snipped by me, bolded by me)

I’ll point out that I’m not upset, because my own comment was pretty much exactly what you just said.

There’s no way in hell he would be allowed to board a plane with FUCK YOU scribbled on his face in magic marker, but I wonder if he could even got thru the TSA screening checkpoint looking like that?

I dunno - wasn’t there some lady recently who had bad language on her t-shirt, and she was prevented from boarding? I seem to remember that it was the flight-crew that kept her off, so that makes me think that TSA might not care what you have written on you.

Not something I would have thought about, but I bet one could argue that people with profanity scrawled on them may not be the most stable people around, and would need to be very carefully screened. :smiley:

It would be a lot more impressive if he did that with facial hair instead of marker.

Probably not just the angle. He’s over 40, and the rock and roll lifestyle is not famous for making you look good when you’re older.

(Also, I had totally forgotten that Marilyn Manson was out there until I saw this thread. Yeah, I think he thought this one through exactly.)

It’s prolly the hat, but my first thought when I saw the pic was, “Boy George?”

Then I thought, wow, wouldn’t that be a thing - if they collaborated on something!

He’s certainly a well-spoken guy in an arena of art populated by many morons.

Quotes:

“The burden of originality is one that most people don’t want to accept. They’d rather sit in front of the TV and let that tell them what they’re supposed to like, what they’re supposed to buy, and what they’re supposed to laugh at.”

“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.”

“The word ‘Antichrist’, to me, is the collective disbelief in god.”

He also has a receding chin, which makes that satchel of loose flesh under his face more prominent.

I would have thought it was Boy George too. Geez, MM was never what you’d all attractive but he is not aging well.

That would be pretty awesome. And I don’t even mean that in an ironic way. And I don’t even like either of their music. Together they’d probably sound like a male version of Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Kid Sally Palumbo did this in Jimmy Breslin’s book The Gang that Couldn’t Shoot Straight (I don’t think it showed up in the movie version). Maybe he got the idea from the book.

In the book, it did keep the photographers from taking his picture. But that was the early 1970s. Times has changed.

I used to listen to a ton of MM. Saw him twice in concert, read Long Hard Road (or whatever it was called). Owned (well, still own) several of his earlier albums (Antichrist Superstar, Smells Like Children, Mechanical Animals IIRC off the top of my head) and do think he’s a good artist and a very good performer. But, you also have to remember, that back in the day, back when half the world was saying “OMG, he’s a genius” back when he was winning awards for The Beautiful People, his producer was Trent Reznor. Don’t get me wrong, I still think the older songs are great (haven’t listened to the newer stuff), but when you keep in mind that it was produced and overseen by Trent it makes you realize that there’s a lot of Trent in MM’s work and MM wouldn’t be anywhere without NIN.

Last I heard, he was going door-to-door. No, seriously.