Marion Barry has died

Oh, Monk, bitch set you up.

Best laugh I’ve had in ages. Thanks Mouse! :smiley:

If the Democrats are looking to totally throw the 2016 election, they could always swap in Al Sharpton :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I take that back. A much more direct replacement would be Kwame Kilpatrick, the former mayor of Detroit. He similarly hired incompetant buddies to key city positions, and spent his entire term in office ignoring the city’s problems. Kwame didn’t manage to pull off getting relected after getting busted for smoking crack, but he did get hit with a federal indictment, which is how Detroit finally got rid of his worthless ass.

Yeah, but neither of your suggestions would yield a Franken-Barry ticket.

Maybe if he picked Ben Stein as his running mate…

Bitch set him up. And what do you expect? He was a night owl.

Franken-Barry sucked. If you could put together a Choc-Ula ticket, I’d totally vote for that :smiley:

A very Marion Berry to us, to us!
A very Marion Berry to us, to us!
If there are no objections, let it be unanimous,
A very Marion Berry to us!

In lieu of flowers, his family asks that you send crack. Lots and lots of crack, for he took most of it with him

In other news, his family is having trouble finding an appropriate tombstone. All the ones they have looked at either cracked too much or not cracked enough.

I lived there for a couple of years in total, once for a year on the military base in Southeast, and then for a year in Rosslyn, VA when I was in the Foreign Service. I also lived in Kampala, Uganda, where city governance was very much Barry-like.

Yeah, I grew up in the 'burbs on the Maryland side; my dad worked in DC my whole life. I’d say that, except for him being elected to office through an actual democratic process, it was very Third World-dictatorish. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m from the DC area. So I got to hear about MB quite a bit. Marion Barry was a great example of The People getting the governance they deserve.

Saying his name in front of my normally quiet father was a sure way to set him off on a rascist rant about how things really went to hell once black folks began running cities.

Well… to be fair, he was good craic.

I’m surprised he made it this long. I expected some sort of more dramatic death ages ago.

Maybe if we had more Irish craic over here, we wouldn’t need American crack.

In other news: Bradley Acula was just admitted to Med School!

Where Marion Barry really screwed the District was by leaving the bureacracy bloated and disorganized. Dream City is a pretty fascinating read on the rise and fall of Marion Barry and what was going on the city at the time.

The crack epidemic hit DC much harder than it hit Baltimore. In 1990, Baltimore had 305 homicides with a population of 736,014. DC had 472 with a population of 606,900.

City services in DC have improved dramatically since then. The DMV is more efficient, and getting your car inspected is no longer the painful process that it was.

snort