Market for Vulva-scented "perfume"?

It’s not funny because, again, it’s a stereotype. There are really people out there that think that vaginas smell like fish, and these jokes only further that ignorance.

Personally, I’d rather sniff the most stank of vajayjays than what must surely be fermenting beneath the body folds of an obese senior white man, but you don’t see me making jokes about it, do you? No, I maintain decorum.

If you’ve got old man body-fold jokes, please share them. :smiley: Seriously, that would be some ammo at work.

So it smells like risotto?

Raises hand.

For the record, I’ve been very lucky in having relationships with women who were remarkably free of gynecological infections. That said, there’s a rather distinctive smell associated with an aroused woman’s vulva. Clean out of the shower (which, I’m hoping, accounts for most of Qadgop’s clinical experience), of course not–there’s generally no smell at all. In more, shall we say, extendedly fervent episodes, all senses are dutifully engaged.

That’s not saying I’m gonna buy this stuff, of course.

usually, I enjoy an offensive joke, but I too must protest the stereotype perpetuated in the “pussy smells like fish” jokes because they make women self-conscious, and less likely to put the goods out there for our consumption.

As for the OP, if I were in posession of a supply of vaginal esters, I’d travel across the USA, dripping it into the pages of hotel Gideon bibles.

Well they do look like red snappers.

Maybe those chemists who came up with those “new car smell” air fresheners finally had to move on.

Lets just hope those cranberry marketing folks who have been so busy these past few decades don’t find out about the wide world of vajay jays.

I’d say half of all humor, if not more, is based on stereotypes. I can’t think of a single stand up comedian that doesn’t use it. (Even “clean” comedians, such as Bill Cosby use sterereotypes, the most common being of children or parents.)

The thing is, such jokes don’t work except if the stereotype already exists in the person’s mind. They don’t really spread anything that isn’t already there. The real problem is that the above “joke” is often not told in such a way that it is clear it is a joke. That’s when the problems start.

That said, I think silenus’s was pretty freakingly obviously meant as a joke.

And, if it makes you feel any better, I didn’t even get it until you pointed it out. I thought it had something to do with menstruation, which I’ve heard referred to as the “crimson tide.”

ETA: As for the OP, isn’t this just the female version of male musky colognes?

Hell, I want Smell-O-Vision!

Are you for real? What, exactly, is so “misogynistic”, “hateful”, “nasty”, “offensive”, and “derogatory” about saying coochies smell like fish? Is there something wrong with fish? Because frankly, I think your comments are highly insulting to fish.

As noted there are a wide variety of odors that emanate from vaginas depending on the woman, the time of her menstrual cycle, and recent activities. Some are stronger than others, and some have a musky scent that does in fact resemble fish. Certainly not all or even most of the time, but the meme didn’t come from nowhere. And there’s really nothing wrong with that. Barring actual infection, I find most of the vaginal secretions I have encountered so far quite pleasant whether they are a little fishy or not.

I think you have a serious hatred of fish that needs to be examined.

Give it a few days of not bathing and it might.

This here female thought it was crudely funny, and obviously a joke in keeping with the raunchiness of the topic “at hand”, so to speak. I don’t think it’s out of line to make a joke about a smelly cooch when it’s in a thread about a product that is supposed to smell like a smelly cooch. And I tend to be pretty sensitive to -ist jokes. (For example, I wouldn’t think any of the other categories of racist jokes you named are funny.)

I’ve worked in a gynecologist’s office, and I know firsthand how these comments and “jokes” affect young women’s confidence. I’ve heard of girls running into bathrooms before sex to clean themselves with toilet paper out of fear of being ashamed of their smell, and I actually know more than one woman who showers multiple times a day out of concern that she’ll smell “down there”. It’s hurtful to women to have this stereotype persist. I was hoping it would die out along with all the others, but apparently I’m completely out of touch and it’s pure comic gold to joke about women’s genitals smelling bad as being normal. Har. :rolleyes:

Actually, the opening video with the guy sniffing the just-used cycle seat reminds me of a cartoon I saw in a Penthouse (I think) where there is some guy on a street corner selling items off a table. The items are “Girls’ Bicycle Seats: $5, Used: $10.”

Not only women’s. And it obviously smells fishy to someone, or the joke wouldn’t be here. Just like bleu cheese smells like heaven to me, and like “butt” to some people I know. And again, a thread about a product designed to smell like a coochie is going to have at least one joke about what it is thought to smell like (or 2, counting the risotto!).

Look, genitals, whether they are male or female, don’t smell like roses. They have a distinctly… how shall we say, biological odor. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But let’s not kid ourselves.

And you are still operating on the premise that fish are foul smelling as if this was a foregone conclusion and didn’t address my questioning on that point at all. If fish were so foul I doubt people would eat them on such a regular basis. Some people may not like the smell, for sure, but it is an incorrect assumption to say that “smells like fish” = horrible, awful, reeking stench.

Infected vaginas smell fishy. That’s the rub, as it were. To indicate that any vagina smells fishy is offensive to me, because it implies that all vaginas are infected, which can be construed as misogynistic.

Sorry, Charlie.

Thank you comrade.

Sometimes there’s a grain of truth in stereotypes (specifically the penultimate one you mentioned).

There was some book I’d read, ages ago and I can’t recall it, but part stuck with me because in it, one of the characters regularly ‘dipped’ into her ‘honeywell’ and spread it a bit behind her ears, with the claim that the dried scent smelled like pure hormonesmes and was very attractive.

Despite remembering this after all this time, I’ve yet to try it. Hrm…

I was thinking about going around wearing a dress and no panties and occasionally doing cartwheels and seeing how that goes… but hey, this would work, too! :smiley: