Marketing Ploys

What are some good marketing ploys to use when selling a product? I know there are several tricks advertisers use to help persuade the consumer. For instance, what sounds better “only $9.95” or “less than $10”?

Using the word ‘entitled’ a lot seems to be a popular one (it won’t work on me though).

The other night a salesman called round:

Salesman: Good evening sir, we’ve been checking into people’s power bills in the area and it turns out you’re entitled to a reduction…
Mangetout: Really? - what company do you work for?
S: Scottish Power, we’re the people that…
M: Ah, you see I buy my gas from British Gas and my electricity from Southern Electric…
S: That’s right, but we’re actually the people that produce the power and they are overcharging you, so you’re entitled to a reduction.
M: It’s not so much ‘entitled’, is it? - you’d like me to change supply and sign up with your company, wouldn’t you?
S: No, no…it’s…well…yes, you see by combining your fuel bills with us, you’re entitled
M: I’ve looked into this before and I’m really not interested, sorry.
S: But you’re entitled
M: No, there’s no ‘entitlement’ here, you’re simply selling something that I don’t want right now, thanks, I’ll know where to find you if I change my mind…

This is the second time that Scottish power have tried misleading language to try to get me to sign a contract with them.

Maybe I’m abnormal, but the ‘trick’ that is most likely to succeed with me is known as ‘honesty’ - if even for a fleeting moment I suspect you’re using less-than-honest tricks to win the sale, it’s goodbye.

The best ploy is to pretend you’re associated with deposed Nigerian government, see, and then you email 100,000,000 people or so with a special offer, see…

Play on fear. You’d be amazed how many people react to fear by purchase something that will ‘supposedly’ alleviate that fear-response.

God, I love marketing.

Hahaha, actually, I have no interest in “misleading” my consumers, I just wanted some advice as to what marketing tactics might be more effective in persuading a purchase.

“But wait, there’s more!!!”

Nothing misleading about pointing out what they’re already scared of and pointing to your product. Nothing at all.

Just don’t lie. That’s a no-no.

From what I understand having the price tag for something read 4 for $1.00 looks more impressive then $0.25 a piece. You could scale for what ever you are selling.

Duderdude2, what’s your product? What are you offering that people will want?

For instance, I work for a company that sells a very popular table top radio. We don’t sell radios. We don’t even sell good sound. We sell prestige, relaxation, and nostalgia.

Knowing the appeal of your product will help you to position it in a way that will present it’s value to potential customers.

For straight, simple tips:

1. Make sure your response vehicle (phone number, coupon, etc.) is very clear and large. If you’re doing TV, keep the phone number displayed through the entire ad.

2. Even if you want people to call you rather than write in, include a “mail in coupon”. It alerts customers to the need to take action. But make sure you’re prepared to respond promptly to customers who choose to contact you that way.

As you can see, more detail about your product and sales strategy would be helpful!

Oh, and if it’s on a store’s shelves, put up a sign that says, “Limit, 12 per customer.” You’ll sell more per customer than you would have otherwise.

If I could have just a moment, I’d like to tell you about a special offer …

or if it’s on TV or radio:

If you call in the next 20 minutes we will throw in “X” absolutely free!!!

Scottish Power aren’t the only ones. I’ve had N-Power use that same line on me, almost word for word. Nothing surer to get people’s interest that suggesting that they’re missing out on something they’re entitled to.

Ad guy checking in…

Most people will say “$9.95” sound better than “less than $10.” They hear “9” and “10”. 9 always sounds better.

Hard to say what else will work for you without knowing what it is. A unique product is important. Unique could be in what it is, or unique could be how you differentiate from other similar products. Is it better, faster, cheaper, longer lasting?

Ditto previous posters on the details…need more info!

I’m selling CDs which contain movies of video game tips, so the user can “see” how it’s done. My site is www.gamexplain.com

I’ll be advertising only via my website and other sites which review my product, so I will not be dabbling in TV and print ads (though thanks everyone for those tips anyway).

I just need quick, concise, statements that convey what I do and why my visitors need it.

Woof, tough one.

Limit yourself to plain, non-polysyllabic :wink: statements that are in active voice.

Convey benefits in all statements.

Mention the price towards the end.

You’ve got one of the most difficult channels to sell through. Good luck.

Fear, sex, power and… I forget. What is the fourth motivation?

I agree - stick with strong benefit statements. What are your potential customers looking for? To beat the pants off the other kids in the neighborhood? To beat their personal best scores?

Who is your competition? Possibly magazines with tips - so why is seeing the tip on the CD so much better than the magazine? Identify with your customer - “Ever try to execute a move you’ve read about, only to have it fail? That won’t happen if you SEE how it’s done.”

And face it - your real competition is against basically anything that gamers normally spend their money on. So how will you make your product seem irresistable? Is there a trick that only YOU can show on a popular game? That could do it.

Or, you could always have a monkey that slides back and forth across the screen, with a sign that says “Click on the Monkey”, to drive customers to your website. :wink:

Hahaha, never :wink:

Anyways, thanks a lot for the suggestions! =)

Duderdude2 - for a mere $50, you can buy a CD with millions of e-mail addr… WAAAIT that’s spamming, and it will drive customers away. :wink:

Seriously, you might have more luck if you e-mail a moderator, ask them to change the subject line to something like “Please suggest some marketing strategies for selling my product online” and perhaps having this thread moved to IMHO, for which it is better suited.