Marvel's Avengers - early reviews seem positive [edited title]

100% on Rotten Tomatoes, but only 14 reviews. See here.

General kudos are getting sent Joss Whedon’s way for knitting together a complex set of story threads, characters and movie studio requirements into something that works. They clearly have been marketing the “Whedon is part of the Celebrity quotient” of the movie, but this praise appears to be earned.

Cool.

Hm. I’m not sure that “a complex set of story threads” is necessarily something I look for in an action movie. (At least in part because I end up having to explain stuff to my wife in the middle of the film.)

I haven’t seen anything that Joss Whedon has written since “Toy Story” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” (the movie), so I can’t say that having his name attached is a big attraction for me.

The Avengers has recently premiered in the UK and the early reviews are coming in (obligatory Rotten Tomatoes link). Everyone has been very positive saying it is a perfect popcorn movie with a great blend of action, character moments, and humor. Joss Whedon is getting a lot of love from the critics. I am geeked up to go see this in May.

Who else is planning to go see it?

I’ve waited decades for this movie to happen.

Yep, really cannot wait to see this.

And the best bit is, I’m a brit, so I’ll see it next week :D:D:D:D:D:D

Although it is fairly unmanly, I must say: squeeeeeeeee!

What the reviews are also saying is that it’s funnier and has more and better action than any other superhero movie to date. The climactic battle in particular is getting raves - and seeing as most superhero flicks seem to falter in the last act, that’s no mean feat.

Merged duplicate threads.

When I see photos of Bane and Catwoman from The Dark Knight Rises, I think ‘that’s all?’ I’ll see both, but it just looks so boring by comparison. For me, it mirrors the differences in the comics since the sixties with Marvel being the flashier one with more human characteristics vs DC being more old school, talky, and aiming for cerebral over fun.

Hulk looks better than ever. Supposedly, he steals the show. Now that they’ve finally got a first rate CGI Hulk that they won’t have to redesign, won’t a sequel be a likelier prospect with so much of the budget freed up?

Joss and Marvel are two of my favorite things, so I’ve been super excited once he was attached to it. I’m really hoping this and The Cabin in the Woods might give him some more mainstream visibility.

He wrote Toy Story?! Wow, I did not know that.
That actually makes me more interested. Too bad I never go out to the movies anymore. I probably see it eventually though. It’s a Disney movie right?

Anybody else doing a prequel marathon? I’m watching the movie, then the making-ofs, then watching it again with commentary on. I’m halfway through Iron Man 2.

along with a half dozen others

Exactly - but that is the challenge they laid at Whedon’s feet when he took on this role, simply because this movie is meant to tie together 5 (more? 2 Hulks; 2 Iron Mans, Thor, Captain America…) previous summer blockbuster movies - and no doubt do it in a way that sets up further individual AND Avenger movies…

Sounds like a pretty complex Rubic’s Cube of a challenge - if he pulled it off AND made a fun, entertaining movie that delivers blockbustery goodness, well, that’s an impressive accomplishment. Perhaps not Shakespeare, but technically impressive.

Unfortunately, there likely won’t be a Fantastic Four/Avengers crossover that would look right, due to Chris Evans.

I am totally stoked about this movie. Scarlett Johansson in spandex, Cobie Smulders, hopefully in something shiny, and the rest of the cast -besides the Hulk- keeping visual continuity is extremely exciting.

Also, I read somewhere that this is the first Hulk CGI where the actor is doing green-screen facial expressions with the digital gizmo-thingies, a la Andy Serkis/Gollum.

Marvel has gotten very lucky in the casting department for every one of the characters (save the Hulk/Bruce Banner, I suppose we’ll find out) involved in this film.

Yep. From what I’ve heard there’s no real required viewing to enjoy Avengers. Sure, the movies will walk you through origins and personalities, but if you’re just out for a fun movie, you can watch it on it’s own.

I was never a big Whedon fan, but his run on Astonishing X-Men impressed me.

The local theater is having an all day 40 buck showing of all the movies before the launch, i was very tempted.

I was a walk-on extra for the movie’s last night of filming in Cleveland, along with a buddy, so I’m especially psyched to see The Avengers. If all goes well, I’ll even appear in it for more than a nanosecond!

Hey, that’s awesome!

What characters were in your scene? Did you even see any?

I’m getting the same kind of confusion here between Green Hornet and Green Lantern, not to mention Arthur and Arthur, but worse; I am assuming that these Avengers has absolutely nothing to do with said upcoming movie? Why can’t they use a more original name?