I just had an awful scare. I called my fiancé at four o’clock this afternoon, when I got home for Thanksgiving break. He was at work, but his dad promised to have him call me when he got home. Ten o’clock comes around, and he still hasn’t called. So I call him.
“Oh,” he says. “I guess you haven’t heard, yet.”
Seems he spent the afternoon in the emergency room. Some @$$hole poured bleach in the ice at the Smoothie King where he works. He ate some, and so did a customer. Carl vomited several times, and went to Ben Taub Hospital (though his boss thought that this was being “overly cautious”.) His mouth and throat are burned, but other than that and the vomiting, he’s ok. The doctors said that there wasn’t much they could do (since he already expelled the bleach from his system), but that he should rest and not eat anything for awhile.
Ok, now that I’ve told the story, here’s the question: What could have happened? How much would he have had to ingest to become seriously ill? How much would kill him? Did he get off as lucky as I think? Is there anything he should look out for (signs that his injury was worse than he thinks)?
BTW, for those of you not from Houston, Marvin Zindler is a local newsperson who does restaurant reports. He’s famous for finding “sliiiiiiiime in the ice machine!”
Why sex is better than religion: You can scream “Oh, God” during sex, but just try saying “Oh, f***” in church!