Mash: what's your secret ingredient?

Roasted garlic, sour cream, and white pepper. No nasty black flecks!

Yum! So many things to try…

That’s probably the most important one, technique, it’s real easy to make potato paste with a hand mixer!

Ricer or food mill all the way.

CMC +fnord!

This. Also roasted garlic.

I’m on this bandwagon. Ricer. And NEVER add cold liquid to hot starch; add hot starch to HOT liquid. Heat up your milk, cream, broth, whatever you’re using, and then add the potatoes. I like a little speck of horseradish powder.

Apart from real Dijon mustard, the thing to add to mash is bacon. Chop the slices and let them simmer in whatever liquid you’re using, then add taters.

Bacon mash is divine, it’s barbaric, hedonistic, heart failure inducing and …

…and …

… words fail me. There are no superlatives that can convey the joy of bacon mash.

Mashing in some parsnips with the potatoes is nice.

I also like your standard horseradish mashed potatoes.

A teaspoon or two of wasabi.

Lime or lemon juice

A raw egg - added when the potatoes are still piping hot (so it does get cooked by the residual heat, as it’s is mashed together).

I also like it with a parsnip mixed in, or jeruasalem artichokes.

Add beets to make Red Flannel Hash. Old New England recipe.

This thread is making me really hungry.

Paul McCartney’s secret Mash is simple genius, a bit of the zwiebeldom.

This video makes me cry, it just shows how much he loves Linda.

We use ranch dressing (I thought this was just a family quirk, you’re the first I know of outside the family that does this…)

I do the cream cheese thing too, but like to use the vegitable flavored cream cheese myself. Chicken stock intead of all water helps too.

While a lot of purists insist that your mash has to be corn and nothing but corn, my daddy always claimed that adding just a little bit of potato helped boost the yield. You have to make sure not to brew it too hot and to make sure you have a long enough coil to…

Oh wait, never mind.

I thought that this was going to be a thread on moonshine…but I live in the sticks.

I add yogurt to mashed potatoes. I’ve maintained the same culture since last summer.

I thought that this was going to be a thread on moonshine, too…but I live in the sticks.

I add yogurt to mashed potatoes. I’ve maintained the same culture since last summer.

Children.

Mashed potatoes is PEOPLE!!