Mass Effect Legendary - my thoughts while I play these games (spoilers as I play)

Mass Effect 3, Star Wars (A New Hope), and Fallout 4 are my favourites (even with all of the crashing in Fallout 4).

Yeah, I’ve had a similar interesting discovery on this new back-to-back-to-back playthrough (I’m about halfway through the third). I love the trilogy, and none of the three games is bad or unenjoyable, but in some ways ME2 is revealing itself as the least of them for me. It has a lot of really good stuff in it, but as far as the overall story, it’s the least interesting and compelling. I suspect it gets a big bump in perception because it’s such a huge leap over the first game, mechanically and visually. But narratively? There’s a couple high points but otherwise it’s fairly inessential. I find myself looking forward to what I know is coming in 3 a lot more than I was in 2.

ME2 had great characters in an uneven story.

This is interesting:

Wrex survives 94% of the time. I could see more people missing that than 6%.

Did they not do Mass Effect 2 or 3? I want to know how I compare in other areas.

Sure, there’s ME2 Suicide Mission data in there, and ME3 geth/quarian conflict resolution, and whether you destroyed the fake Reaper rachni queen.

BioWare made this chart a while after three came out the first time. More or less the stats are the same. What floors me is the amount of people who play as soldier. Granted, I’ve done it too, but I’m a part of a ME Facebook group and there are tons of people who make posts that say “I’ve played 5 times and always been a male soldier, should I try something else?”

Being a solder class is kinda boring in the the first place, but to make it the only thing you do?

68% of players punched Khalisah al-Jalani in the face? That’s higher than I would have expected.

I wonder if it is because people knew it was coming?

That said, I remember my very fist time I encountered this I punched her and ruined a perfect Paragon run.

I was also surprised. I kind of went for “good” and actually made it through all three games without punching the reporter.

I think I’ve only punched her when I’ve been playing a Renegade female Shepard, which isn’t very often (maybe twice out of more than a dozen times).

Male soldier is the default Shepard. Most likely go with that in their first run. Maybe they finish the run, maybe they switch to something else. But the default selection probably skews the results.

I went soldier because it seemed default-ish to me. I did go female and I did not accept the preset look for female. Soldier sounded like a good first-playthrough style.

I’ve tried a few other classes, but I always go back to soldier. I just like it best. It’s not just Mass Effect, either - no matter what shooter I’m playing, I always choose the assault rifle. Any other weapon and any tactic other than “fire and maneuver” just doesn’t feel right.

Plus, in ME, I’m the squad leader, which means I feel the need to lead from the front. That means no hanging back and using sniper/tech/biotic weapons, and no sneaking around while my squad mates are taking fire.

Again, nothing wrong with doing things differently - I’m just saying what I, personally, feel happiest with.

Youtuber Many a True Nerd explores whether you can beat the trilogy without making any friends.

Bumping this thread for a bit of self indulgence. As of Saturday, Oct. 2, I have a new member of my squad: Tali Elizabeth! Name courtesy of our favorite Quarian girl and a really awesome, understanding wife.

I’d totally upload a picture if I knew how.

Congratulations!

By coincidence, just yesterday I started a game of Dragon Age: Inquisition with a character named Tali. (After finishing Dragon Age: Origins with Garrus the Dalish elf and Dragon Age 2 with Liara Hawke, featuring Wrex the mabari hound.)

Congrats!

The easiest way to share pics is to upload them to Imgur: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Then paste the link to here.

Note: Photos uploaded to Imgur are available to the whole world. Don’t put anything on there you would not want to be public.

Because of this thread I decided to get the legendary edition. A few random thoughts that no one asked for.

Because of this thread and the other one about gender picks in video games I decided to go Fem Shep. I don’t mind playing female characters but when I have a choice I try to make the character look like me.

The original criticism about the character faces is still valid. I know it was made a while ago but it was bad even for the time especially with 3. The non-human characters are fine just the humans. That’s what made me hate Miranda. It was an uncanny valley thing. She was supposed to be beautiful but things were just far enough off to bother me. The forehead was too high, the hair too helmety, the boobs were a few inches too low. It just didn’t look right. Looked almost human but not quite. I spent more time with the aliens for that reason.

I was surprised how little I remembered from when I originally played. Part of it is because I did none of the DLC. Didn’t even know it existed. But mostly I just didn’t remember so a lot was fresh.

I can’t help myself, I went straight paragon. I just can’t go the other route.

Dana Allers was annoying. I don’t care about the controversy. The character was useless. She gave you like two conversations.

Why could you go into the bathrooms on the ship when nothing every happens there?

I don’t know what I did wrong but I never was able to get a romance going in the first two. I finally was able to romance Traynor in 3. I thought I spoke to everyone when I could but I must have made a wrong choice.

I picked the destroy ending before. This time I picked synergy. The extended ending was a big improvement. From what I’m reading your choice isn’t going to matter in 4.

I’m glad I played through it again. I don’t know how anyone can play it over and over. I have to move on.

Me too.

No kidding, what a joke.

Next time, try Liara. No effort required as far as I could tell.