May I explain my user name?

Is this where usernames are explained? Well if so then my name means The Thief in Irish (gaelic). I finally have some funds so will be subscribing soon hopefully. Huzzah.

If we make it our motto, let’s spell it right. I meant I’m never “too” stubborn. :o

[QUOTE=MrDibble]
Their made-up offenderati religious sensitivities (e.g. Lib fundie bugbear), not so much.
[/QUOTE]

MrDibble: You do not pick fights with other people in ATMB, regardless of what you think of them or any of the myriad of things that make them different from you.

If you have a problem with Lib or his views – or anyone else, for that matter – there’s many much more suitable places to take your disagreement – including outside. If you can’t agree to disagree in a civil manner here without resorting to the ad hominem there will be unfortunate consequences.

This applies to everyone on the board – including Lib – and not just you.

Knock it off.

[QUOTE=IvoryTowerDenizen]
I like this as the unofficial motto of the SDMB!
[/QUOTE]
You’re not from around here, are you?

[QUOTE=TubaDiva]
MrDibble: You do not pick fights with other people in ATMB, regardless of what you think of them or any of the myriad of things that make them different from you.

If you have a problem with Lib or his views – or anyone else, for that matter – there’s many much more suitable places to take your disagreement – including outside. If you can’t agree to disagree in a civil manner here without resorting to the ad hominem there will be unfortunate consequences.

This applies to everyone on the board – including Lib – and not just you.

Knock it off.
[/QUOTE]

Will do. Sorry about that, I’ve been involved in the Pit thread and ATMB thread at the same time. That’s not an excuse, of course, but it is a (poor) reason.

[QUOTE=Nzinga, Seated]
I am clear on that. It makes sense. I only meant I think the racists see you all as Black, unfortunate as that title may be for some. I myself think it is a great thing to be!
[/QUOTE]

They do not see me as Black, they see me as Other. I don’t understand this desire to subsume more oppressed minorities under the Black umbrella. I’m glad you’re happy to be Black. I’m happy to be Coloured, why not just leave it at that?

[QUOTE=Nzinga, Seated]

As for what sticks in** foolsguinea’s ** craw, I think it has more to do with your discomfort with being considered black, than with any upset-ness at Khoi and Black being different.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t have a discomfort with being considered Black because I have a problem with being Black, I have a problem with being considered Black because it’s wrong, and it serves as a diminution of the rich heritage and stolen future that being descended from the Khoikhoi means, by overiding it with the Black experience.

Khoikhoi are not Black in any meaningful nonpolitical sense. If Khoikhoi are Black then so are Native Americans, so are Japanese, so are the Irish. The pure historic reality that two oppressed minorities occupy the same continent and were targeted by the same brutal regime does not make them the same people.

[QUOTE=An Gadaí]
Is this where usernames are explained? Well if so then my name means The Thief in Irish (gaelic). I finally have some funds so will be subscribing soon hopefully. Huzzah.
[/QUOTE]
And how close that is to “An Gardaí”*…

Welcome Nzinga, Seated, thank you for causing a fascinating thread.

*“The Police” in Irish

[QUOTE=tomndebb]
You’re not from around here, are you?
[/QUOTE]

'scuse me?

[QUOTE=Nzinga, Seated]
Oh Dear. I mean to say, “MrDibble”. I am afraid I have certainly gotten off on the wrong foot with him.

I don’t know where I got mcdribble; I have been calling him that by mistake!
[/QUOTE]

Maybe a Freudian slip. Isn’t that one of those frothy ice cream drinks from a fat food place?

You keep saying this. We get it. Thank you.

You keep saying this. No one desires you to be black. We promise.

People are starting to bear the dead h–Oh, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t say that, equines might be insulted and we can’t be having that. :slight_smile:

It’s time to close this thread.