Mayo vs. Miracle Whip

Grew up a mayo person. My first wife was from a Miracle Whip family. It wasn’t awful.

But after the divorce I went back to mayo.

Miracle Whip tastes like rancid cow udder scrapings.

Concur in toto.

Miracle Whip is OK, but mayo – especially Hellmann’s – is far better.

I prefer Best Foods.

<emphasis mine>

Name one.

I would offer that the B.M.W. (bacon and Miracle Whip) sandwich has a better flavor profile than it would made with mayo.

I did.

I had intended to make clear that I did know Suburban Plankton was not addressing me.

I’ll bet you meant that as a wry joke, but Best Foods actually has a tarter flavor than Hellmanns, even though they’re made by the same company.

Your post is a brilliant short-short story.

My sister is brilliant, and funny, and my role model in many ways. Except this one. She’s Miracle Whip, I’m mayonnaise. My mom tries to avoid both products and can never remember which of us likes which.

IIRC Best Foods bought Hellmanns, the original commercial mayo, but maintained both brands because of their individual popularity.

My mother bought Miracle Whip when I was a lad (or the supermarket generic version of it), and I formed the impression that it was an economical way to put a mayonnaise-like substance in the pantry.

Then I got married, and brought Miracle Whip into our home one fine day. kaylasmom put a stop to that toot sweet.

It’s hard to do deadpan on a message board.

I don’t hate Miracle Whip, but there really isn’t a single food I prefer it in. It’s just too damned sweet. If I want tang, I prefer a mix of mayo, sweet relish, and a hit of mustard and ketchup.

Hellmann’s Mayo is the best. Not a fan of Kraft mayo or Kraft Miracle Whip.

I don’t like Miracle Whip at all. I think it’s foul. I don’t care if other people want to eat it. Just, whatever you do, don’t call it mayonnaise if it’s actually Miracle Whip. That happened to me at a friends house. She was making sandwiches and asked if I wanted mustard and mayo. I said yes. First bite I nearly gagged. If she’d asked if I wanted MW and mustard, I would have said just mustard, please.

Once, when I was a freshman in college I needed some dressing, and the Coop lobby shop only had MW - so I tried it. The world almost lost me there. That stuff is awful.

Hellman’s light mayo isn’t bad mixed into things, but my BLTs use the real stuff.

I use either so infrequently I’m not even sure if I could tell the difference.

No lite mayo-like product is worth using for any purpose. If you want less Calories, just use less of it. Or just forget about it, and go after some of the many things you eat that have many more Calories than a little smear of spread.