McCain Campaign pulls out of Michigan: Have they entered the dealth throes yet?

The McCain Campaign is preparing to pull out of Michiganto concentrate efforts elsewhere.

The last 10 days have not been the best for the republican campaign…Big questions about Palin’s credibility and her ability to lead the nation should she need to step up to the plate have plagued the McCain Campain. Now it looks like they are giving up on Michigan who holds 17 electoral votes. This is not the sign of a healthy vibrant campaign.

Has the McCain camp entered the death throes of it’s campaign?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that Michigan was more of a must-win for Obama than for McCain. (E.g., both Kerry and Gore won Michigan, didn’t they?) So, while it certainly doesn’t seem like a good sign for them that they no longer think it’s really in play, it is not like they are giving up a state that they must win to win the election. Or, in other words, I am cautiously optimistic, but I am not dancing on their graves just yet.

Hell no.

And I’m afraid that if Obama people in MI get too confident over this, we could still see MI slip away. Despite a recent Detroit Free Press poll (which had Obama up by like 15 points), most polls still have Obama up by 7 or less here.

They’re just now focusing more on Bush states that they don’t want to lose (VA, OH, FL, the southwest, and NC).

Essentially conceding a state this early doesn’t send a very confident message, but I too am cautiously optimistic. On the other hand, I was a CART/Champ Car fan, and was cautiously optimistic they’d triumph over the IRL, and look how that turned out. So don’t listen to me.

On the third hand, I’m giggling to myself.

It is still too soon. If it was Florida, I would say differently though.

There is too much that can go wrong, if Palin can tone down her lack of depth tonight and Biden pulls one of his famous foot-in-mouth moments, momentum can still change. I have never heard people* talk as much about a VP debate as this one. I expect it will be watched by a much larger than normal amount of people.

Jim

• Yes, I mean at work and not on the Dope.

double post

If I get there first, don’t dance on the wet spot.

Nice!

I see the momentum shift as a positive for Obama. McCain’s bigest liability is Palin, and many republicans realize that. After the wow factor of a female hunter, republican, hockey-mom, six pack mom [whatever that is?] people realize she is not qualified to take the lead role in this country should the need arise. I think many republicans will stay home and not vote. More the democrats this year.

It’s certainly not good for McCain. He pretty much needed to get Michigan to offset New Mexico and Iowa.

Ok, so McCain has pulled out of Michigan, and Obama’s pulled out of North Dakota and Georgia. Have either of them pulled out of any other states? Do you expect them to pull out of any other states.

It’s certainly not good for McCain. He pretty much needed to get Michigan to offset New Mexico and Iowa.

Ok, so McCain has pulled out of Michigan, and Obama’s pulled out of North Dakota and Georgia. Have either of them pulled out of any other states? Do you expect them to pull out of any other states?

Yippee! Now I won’t have to see his ugly mug on television except on the news.

Very encouraging, I’d say. Obama needs Michigan more than McCain does, but it was potentially winnable for the GOP. For him to be pulling out a month ahead of the election is good news for Dems, but there’s a lot to be done before Obama claims the White House!

:: crosses fingers, writes another check, signs up to volunteer again ::

Mrs.P and I are thinking about handing in absentee ballots and driving to Pennsylvania to help get people to the polls. Anything for one day…one HUGE DAY!! :smiley:

My eldest son, age 11, and I are already signed up for phonebanking and a lit drop or two. I’ll be taking a personal day on Election Day to help at our local Obama campaign office. Every little bit helps!

Perhaps it has to do with money. Either things are starting to get tight, or they’ve decided that increased ad buys in must-have swing states are essential and this is the only way to finance it.
I should probably let this pass, but I can’t. . . .

Mebbe it refers to, um, nursing potential, if ya know what I mean. . . .

Here’sthe Washington Post article.

This is a rumor. He cancelled an appearance in a town hall meeting in Michigan and the press ran with it. He’s still got a ton of ads in Michigan. You’re not running, what, 30 or 40 hours of ads a week and “pulling out” of any market.

Philosphr, can I interest you in coming to Michigan?

It must be a pretty strong rumor if even Fox News is running it.

Its all over the local news.

He’s still running a ton of ads. Let’s see if the number diminishes before we crack a smile, shall we?