McCain: The Last Ten Days- Are they bluffing or planning?

McCain on the current stateof the race:

But increasingly this is followed by (emphasis mine):

So

1- Do you think he’s bluffing or is he really planning something big for the last 10 days?

2- How is being behind in the polls “where you want” to be?

3- If he is planning something, what do you think?

I also wonder if they realizes the inevitable comparison of talking about miraculous turnarounds that will reverse the course in “the Last Ten Days”.

1- I think they really do think they’re saving their best stuff for the last ten days. However, considering the judgement of this campaign so far, I’m not worried.

2- It’s like tripping, and saying “I meant to do that.”

3- An “Aristocrats”-like stage show.

I like how he acknowledges that they’re 6 points down, but that he “trusts the judgment of the American people”.

Whom does he think they’ve been polling, then? Canadians?

1- Do you think he’s bluffing or is he really planning something big for the last 10 days?**
Today I think he is bluffing. Tomorrow, after his strategists have pulled an allnighter we will see some thing outlining a plan. Who cares, people are not concerned with how quick strategists can come up with a plan…If they are paying attention to something in the last ten days it’s going to be Obama’s Late October Surprise…

It isn’t.

See above. He’s got to persuade the people who have been following and have doubts that he is still their man. But in the last two months they have seen Palin. Nuff Said.

Let’s see, they’ve pretty much indirectly called him a terrorist* and that didn’t help. I don’t know how much further they could go or what they could say after that which would have any impact on the Americans.

(*They connected him to Ayers, then decided not to attack him anymore on that last week and according to this week’s news, McCain is going to bring it up at Wednesday’s debates).

Yep - and he was going to take the gloves off at the last debate.

The problem is that folks already KNOW Obama, months of campaigning…three debates (well after tomorrow), speeches, etc. While I don’t doubt they THINK they have something, I doubt it will be effective. After all they don’t seem to have a very good track record this campaign.

The probably think they have something but they’re nuts if they think it’s going to work.

Obama’s has been increasing his lead for a month now. He didn’t rocket ahead in one big leap. It’s been a steady inexorable gain. And it’s the result of a constellation of different factors all working in his favor: Palin, the economy, the debates, McCain’s shifting positions. You can’t just roll back a lead like that overnight.

I’d laugh if they fired her.

Ah, they’re using the false sense of confidence ploy. That explains a lot.

1- Do you think he’s bluffing or is he really planning something big for the last 10 days?
There is a certain amount of bluff, probably, but I think he feels he can pull it out also.

He has come from behind in the past on a couple of occasions. And I believe he feels that America likes an underdog and will rally to that underdog.

Everyone has some skeleton in his or her closet and he may well feel he has something on Obama that he can release to the nation and with Rove in his corner he may well have.

They’re auditioning the Great ACORN Conspiracy today. Mooseolini is on Rush, the Orca of the Airwaves, floating that balloon…

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/14568

**Palin: Obama must ‘rein in’ ACORN **

That, and play Six Degrees of Bill Ayers.

(Didja ever see Dr. Doolittle, where that German Shepherd in the vets office is being dragged into the “fixing” room, and he’s trying desperately to escape, his paws skittering helplessly on the linoleum, desperately scrabbling for traction…)

See, this is what I don’t understand. He may very well be right about America loving an underdog, but it’s not like his football team is down 35-10. He’s not behind because his opponent is scoring more touchdowns than he is; he’s behind because people don’t like him as much. Therefore, in this situation, he may be the underdog, but he’s the underdog because America doesn’t like him.

Someone in my office just said he read something about an Obama affair McCain’s camp knows about and is holding until 10 days out. I can’t find anything on this. Anyone read anything today remotely alluding to this in any way?

No. But considering both John McCain and Sarah Palin have had (or are rumored to have had) affairs themselves, it doesn’t seem wise to draw attention to imperfect marriages.

I bet they have something they think is big. But they thought Palin and going negative was big also.

Not at this late date. Obama’s increase in numbers is from the independent voters making up their minds. Once they do, it is going to be hard to change them back again, absent some sort of disaster. Plus, it is not only the Dems or the press calling him a dead duck - a lot of Republicans are doing it also.

Bringing up Ayers during the debate is going to be a disaster. It will allow everyone to hear what a feeble relationship it was, Obama will be prepared, and it will make McCain seem like a nasty old man. I hope he tries.
Any major policy proposals this late are going to seem like reaching, and will allow the usual counters to dominate the discussion until Election Day. The mortgage bailout proposal was a nonstarter.

The whole thing reminds me of a Get Smart joke.

I have a plan that will put me up by six points, a whole new direction! Would you believe it up by six?
I find that hard to believe.
How about a speech that makes me tied?
No.
A stripshow by Sarah?

True, but this is something that would be devastating to Obama supporters, what with him walking on water and all. :slight_smile:

Seriously, I am a little nervous the McCainiacs have something.

I just googled and found this from yesterday.

Warning: the entire thing sounds completely absurd and insubstantial.

I think the whole idea is sort of silly, really. Let’s say Obama genuinely had some sort of scandalous affair and then shipped his lover off to the Caribbean to hush the whole thing up. Why on Earth would McCain wait until the last minute to announce something like that?

“We have them right where we want them,” really is an old Get Smart joke, isn’t it?

Awww, hell, I done clicked a Newsbusters link! Now I gotta shower again and scrub with Pine-Sol.