This isn’t about the commercials, it’s about the web banners on this site. I’m getting inundated with them. They are scams, right? I haven’t clicked on one yet, figured they are phishing attempts.
AI text and the double big mac was a limited offer just a couple years ago. So yeah, fake.
Thanks, though they are not just double big mac.
What’s the tip off for AI text?
My tip offs:
Wrong font for McDonald’s ad.
McDonald’s Logo right next to the word McDonald’s is redundant and I don’t think I’ve seen it in legitimate ads.
General lack of correct trademarks.
Any text on an ad bordered between two little red stars is a huge tip-off for me. For some reason AI ads and menus love using those stars.
Not sure what they’re called, but those little lines next to word “free” are so common on AI images now.
Wait. What? There are ads on this site? I haven’t seen an ad here in who knows how long.
But also, I have McDonald’s as a client and that’s a fake ad. Off brand.
Even if you have no ad-blocker running, you still may profit from the fact that you’re a charter member. I’m not a charter member, but a mere member, resulting from the fact that at the time of the transition of the board to discourse, I happened to be a paying member and kept that status, so I also don’t get ads here, even if I switch off my ad-blocker.
Ok, got it. I see that now. Thanks.
Yep. I’m not a charter member and am not running an ad blocker.
Good point! It’s been so long since the last time to re-up I forgot all about the charter member thing. Which is a little… strange, now that I think about it. This may be the only organization that does not aggressively hassle me to renew my membership every year.
Sounds like a license to print money. Good for you.
The site (like many) is unbearable with ads. I was a paying member at one time, so I also don’t see them once I log in.
For one thing, the kerning on “McDonald’s” (right above “FREE”) is off. It’s too loose. You’d think if people are making rip-off ads to scam customers they would at least copy the actual McDonald’s logo and titles.
I’m unclear on the concept of “fake ad”. Someone is paying to advertise for McDonald’s without getting money from the company? To what end?
To take away business from the company when people can’t redeem the fake offers then get pissed off?
The ad wants you to click on the button to claim a coupon, which will take you a survey or some other sketchy website where they will do other stuff. It may just be an attempt at an upsell, having you buy something to get your coupon, or it may involve malware and crap.
This is the first one I’ve seen using food, but you see “free iPad” or similar in the same setup.
As for the OP: The Claim button is the big tell for me.
ISTR moving to Discourse broke the payment mechanism and fixing it is a low priority.
Probably not a great sign of the economy when we’ve gone from scamming expensive electronics to cheeseburgers.