McDonald's Southern Style Chicken Sandwich vs. Chick-Fil-A

I think the breading is “spicy”. And the sandwich doesn’t have any lettuce or mayo like their regular McChicken.

I haven’t actually tried it.

“Southern Style” when used with chicken almost always means “á la KFC,” even though it’s completely obvious that who they’re actually going after this time is Chick-Fil-A. There’s just not enough in the Chick-Fil-A name that they can glom on to without risking a trademark infringement suit, I guess. :slight_smile:

I like Chick-fellate but I always take the pickles off.

The regular sandwich isn’t anything special. It’s a McChicken minus the condiments. Whomever it was at McCorporate who said “I know, just a pickle.” has been in the back room huffing party balloon helium again.

But the one I really can’t take it the breakfast one, the one that’s just a chunk of fried chicken on a biscuit. How in the name of all things artery clogging am I supposed to choke down that dry as a bone concoction. That sucker needs gravy.

Lurrrrv Chick-Fil-A, not McD’s at all. IIRC Chick uses some powdered sugar in their batter. True, it could use some mayo but the chicken tastes real, not processed.

I had one out of curiosity, and my impression was that it’s Micky D’s take on “chicken fried chicken.” There was more black pepper in the breading, and I think the chicken had been marinated in buttermilk. It was marginally more flavorful than its other breaded chicken patties (still exceptionally bland by homecooking standards, though), and a little more tender.

Had the McD’s one recently. It was a poor imitation of the Chik Fil A. It was a thinner slice of chicken (or something chickenesque as another poster said) and very dry. Also, they didn’t give any condiments, fortunately I was at work where we had a supply of extra condiment packets so I could add some mayo. My grocery store actually does a better chicken sandwich than either CFA or McD, it’s cheaper and tastier and even though they make a few and set them out in the hot box there are probably even fresher.

I like the chicken biscuit pretty well from McD’s (for breakfast) but if I’m going to eat a “chicken sandwich” I’d rather have Wendy’s. Chick-Fil-A doesn’t inspire me enough to drive across town for one.

I felt the McDonald’s thing was edible - but calling it Southern style is an insult to my late mother, my aunts, and all other good southern cooks. Real southern fried chicken is crispy, flavorful (tastes like actual chicken), and tastes good warm or cold, on bread or a biscuit.

No chick-fil-a s around here.

I prefer the McShawarma, myself.

Mmmmm… Bojangles french fries…

<drool…drool…drool>

Are you kidding, Il ove the breakfast one, because McDs biscuits are pretty damn good.

Chik-fil-a is hands down the better sandwich, but it is still a fast food joint, so it is not fantastic. The McD’s version is craptastic. And Chik-fil-a gives you extra pickles…that makes my day.

I had one of the Mickey D’s sarnies on the day they were giving them away free with a medium Coke. It was… tasteless, and the one pickle doesn’t begin to address that tangy zing you get with the C-F-A. It is clearly an attempt to muscle in on Chick-Fil-A’s signature sandwich, and it doesn’t come close. However, I can see how it might take off…

Friend A: Let’s get some lunch.
Friend B: Cool, I want Chick-Fil-A.
A: But it’s so far/closed on Sunday! You can get a chicken sandwich at McDonald’s.
B: Sod it then, let’s go there.

Mediocre sandwich for those unwilling to travel to the remote location of a Chick-Fil-A.

Preach it. That goes for burgers, too, AFAIC. Everything else is meh in comparison.

No, I love them too, really. I can mess up a bacon egg and cheese biscuit no worries, but the chicken biscuit thing is dry beyond comprehension. It didn’t help that I got coffee with it that was too hot to wash it down with. That first bite was like swallowing cement.

i haven’t tried it yet but I do have loyalty and much love for anything Chick-fil-a … but i heard it wasn’t as good

I’ve seen those Chik Fila’s around here. I didn’t know what they were. I guess I’ll have to give it a shot one day since it is apparently a southern thing. If that McD’s southern fried chicken sandwich is any indication though, I will not be optimistic to the results. I’m with Q.E.D. on this. It is just a deep fried chicken patty with a pickle. It was very underwhelming.

It isn’t as good at Chick-fil-a, but for those of us up north with no Chick-fil-a option or those people who enjoy the product but are boycotting Chick-fil-a for some reason it is a decent alternative. Also people who want the sandwich on a Sunday can actually get one now.

When I lived in Texas every time I felt like I really, really wanted some Chick-fil-a it was always on a Sunday. Stupid fast food place closing for a whole day! And if we are comparing to other eateries Whataburger outshines most others (except the Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich.)

I tried Chick-Fil-A once when visiting in-laws in Virginia. I liked it, but I didn’t think it was anything special.
The McD’s thing, in both the breakfast and lunch versions, tastes like it was fried in oil that was previously used to fry fish. Crappy. I’ll stick to the spicy chicken sandwich at Popeye’s or the Chicken Ranch Sandwich at Chili’s.