Meat eaters: Do you have any vegetarian meals in regular rotation?

I don’t eat meat often, nor do I make “real meals” often. If I do make something with meat, the portion is small and leftovers frozen until my body decides it’s feeling carnivorous again.
I make a lot of pasta dishes (baked ziti and spinach/ricotta stuffed shells most frequently).
Tomato soups, vegetable soups, lentil soups will be back on the roster as the weather turns cooler.
Roasted vegetables can be a full meal for me. I also started grilling veggies this summer - a well grilled zucchini is quite tasty.
I’ve been learning more Cambodian recipes, mostly noodle based, and I just leave meat out. I tried using marinated tofu - cannot do the texture.
And my happy comfort full meal is an oven baked potato, butter, cheese, chives, and a dollop of sour cream.

Mondays and Fridays - the haute cuisine of Kraft dinner with veggie wieners.

You could try smashing it onto some toast.

We’ve had tofu stir fry once a week for half a year now. Salad with cottage cheese mashed a regular appearance. And I rarely bother with meat on homemade pizza.
I used to make a broccoli gnocchi sheet pan dinner a lot. Also some vaguely Indian lentil dishes.

Yeah I’m not so into the TVP fake meat. But I too have had some tasty veggie patties. I took my vegetarian friend Claire to a vegetarian restaurant called Claire’s (because that seemed like a requirement) and had some good “burgers” there. But as for commercial products, IIRC Hillary’s has products that are millet-based. And Dr. Praeger(?) had some actually veggie focused products.

I’m trying to include more vegetarian options in my meals supply lines are going to be choppy this winter, and prices will be all over the place, and at least half my stash of emergency food is beans in cans. I want options, tasty options I like to eat in case I can’t find everything on my list when I go to the grocery store.

I’d like to quote Anthony Bourdain : Anthony Bourdain Would Consider Going Vegetarian in Just This One Place on Earth | Bravo TV Official Site

In an interview with Vogue India, Bourdain said, “I’ve made much fun of vegetarians over the years and have been said, frequently, to ‘hate’ them. This is not true. But I am dismissive and (sometimes) contemptuous of food that is made with a narrow world view as its first priority.”

He says India isn’t like that at all. “This is not the case in India, one of the few places on earth, where eating vegetarian is not a burden,” he says. (bolding mine)

Growing up in India, we had meat and seafood occasionally but most of the times it was vegetables and lentils and…
In the last few years, quite a few Indian farms have started in Hawaii and Florida, with the result that a lot of “Indian vegetables and fruits” are available fresh in US stores . Vegetables like unripe jackfruit, moringa, various gourds, etc etc makes meals interesting.

When my husband got his first Indian cookbook, he read it and said, “now I could be a vegetarian”. Most of our vegetarian entrees (and meals) are made from Indian recipes.

sigh<

Wish that was more of an option for me. Someone with allergies to lentils and peas has a difficult time navigating Indian cuisine.

(Mexican, too - you might say some of my food is Mexican-inspired. With a tomato allergy that’s another cuisine minefield).

Dragging this up again to add stewed garbanzos with chard, which I like very much. Forgot all about it until yesterday, and I’ve just finished making a batch.

You will need:

A big pot and a medium-sized pot
(Dry) garbanzo beans (chickpeas) soaked overnight (10–12 hours)
Chard (more than you think if you don’t often cook greens)
Day-old French/Italian bread or similar, 1.5 slices per serving
Olive oil (the good stuff if you have it)
Ground cumin
Sweet/smoked paprika
Several cloves of garlic (at least one per serving)

If chard is unprocessed, start with a clear workspace and an empty kitchen sink. Heat about a quart/liter of water with salt in big pot. Prepare chard by separating leaves from stems, forming two piles. Rinse each stem individually and thoroughly, chop into bite-sized pieces and put into big pot. Repeat with leaves. When the water is hot or boiling, add garbanzos and cook until they’re tender (20 minutes in pressure cooker). Using a slotted spoon or similar, transfer contents to medium-sized pot and save cooking liquid.

Chop garlic into big pieces, brown in just enough olive oil and transfer to a plate. In same oil and adding more as needed, brown slices of bread and transfer to plate. Blend garlic, bread and about a glassful of the cooking liquid and add to medium-sized pot, along with cumin and paprika. Stir to distribute ingredients, adjust salt and spices to taste and cook for a few more minutes. Tastes even better the next day.

Tips: You can use the medium-sized pot to hold the rinsed chard before chopping. Be very careful not to burn the garlic or the bread. Use low heat and check bread for browning often (it’ll sneak up on you). You can use fresh bread and even plain old white (for sandwiches) in a pinch. Too much broth will ruin this. You should end up with just an inch or two in the medium-sized pot, so be careful not to use too much cooking liquid when blending.

I tried this recipe last night, no changes:

My husband, the ravening carnivore, was disappointed to find out he was having a meatless dinner, but when he tried it, said, “Not bad!” :roll_eyes:
I asked him if I should make it again, and what I should do differently next time. He agreed we should put it into the rotation, and the change he suggested was exactly the one I was already planning, namely: During the last step of heating the burritos in the oven, cover them with salsa so they don’t get crispy.
So, gotta call this one a success!

Except that I don’t care for paprika, and would leave that out, this sounds very good. I may give it a try. How much chick pea and chard would you recommend per serving?

Do most people utilize a “rotation” for their meals? The word is in the title as well. Maybe it’s because we share meal preparation, but for us, each night is a unique experience. I might grill steaks tonight and serve them with baked potatoes and salad, then never serve the exact same thing again. I love ceviche and could eat it three nights a week, but in reality I only make it when I have some especially nice, fresh, fish.

I meal plan, but it’s week-to-week, dependent on what’s on sale. There’s no strict rotation, I just mean “recipe I’ve cooked before and will again.” :yum:

OK, I have these, but then again we often make up things as we go. There is no recipe written down anywhere, and the meal itself doesn’t really have a name. I recently bought a big bagful of cubanelle peppers. I stuffed them with whatever produce we had aging in the crisper drawers along with some kind of meat. I remember we both absolutely loved the dish, but there’s no way I could recreate it again.

Bon appetit!

I do. I mean, I don’t have a schedule and do this on this night and that on that night. But I have a handful of main dishes I do a lot, and a handful of veggie sides I do a lot, And a couple of standard starches, and I think of those as “what’s in the rotation”. I also do some one-off cooking, and if I like the results enough, I might add that to “the rotation”. I did that when I tried making biscuits. I’d never made biscuits, and rarely eaten them. I discovered they were fast and easy to make, and delicious. So now I make them from time to time.

We usually go about half and half vegetarian/vegan and meat. I wouldn’t say we have a rotation, though, especially in summer when dinner is built around whatever is in the farm box.

Can’t say because I don’t have a kitchen scale. To make a batch that will feed three or four people, I use two or three servings of garbanzos and maybe three servings of chard. Sounds like bad math but it’s light fare and you (I) end up eating more than usual.

In those proportions, use a third of a rounded teaspoon each of paprika and cumin. Paprika burns easily, maybe you had a bad experience with it for that reason. It does fine in a liquid, but I see a lot of recipes that call for adding it at an earlier stage, when there’s just vegetables cooking in oil, and that often makes it taste bitter. The good stuff is wonderful.

The chard is just the whole bundle I buy. Looks like one of these:

Naw, i don’t like anything in the pepper family. Paprika is mild enough that I’m willing to eat dishes that use it, but i don’t enjoy it.

Not in any regular rotation no. We don’t eat/cook that way.

We enjoy some vegi soups and pastas. And two of my best friends are vegetarians. We often get vegi pizza - Tomato, green olive, artichoke hearts and jalapeno is typical.

And I recently made two meatless dishes that where quite good.

Broccoli cheddar soup served over half an avocado. This is excellent and we will probably have it tonight.

Scrounging in the kitchen the other day, I came up with - Curly egg noodles with sliced Kalamata olives, sliced grape tomatoes tossed with olive oil panko bread crumbs and parmesan. Very good as well. Googling it to fine tune it, I found it is actually a dish.

The other one is sauteed vegis over half a baked potato. Dress it up with cheese, sour cream or whatever. We often add a fried egg on top.

The above two are gonna be keepers in our ‘recipes’ but there is no real rotation. We tend to make a big pot of something. Or a casserole or lasagna on Sunday and eat it for dinner for the week.

There are a few dishes that I could eat every night for a month. If I like it, I really don’t get tired of it. But that’s not really a very health way to eat IMHO.

I don’t know that “rotation” necessarily implies that it’s the whole meal rather than the individual parts that are in rotation - if I grill shell steaks today and serve them with a salad and baked potatoes , it’s not going to be a unique experience to me because even if I never serve that exact meal again (and I will ) , I will certainly serve some other protein with baked potatoes and a salad , or grilled shell steaks with twice-baked potatoes and a salad or … you get the picture.

As far as meatless meals - we often make a potato and egg frittata , and when I eat pizza it usually doesn’t have any meat. A third one would be pasta with a meatless sauce ( either cacio e pepe or marinara sauce or spaghetti with garlic and oil ) and a salad.