Meat Shields

Iraq has granted 50 Western anti-war activists entry visas; apparently, the activists plan on acting as “human shields”, dispersing into populated areas, and hoping the chances of non-Iraqi casualties will deter the U.S. from bombing.

Does anyone really think this will work? I doubt the military will be re-routing airstrikes because there’s an idealistic civilian wandering through one of their target sites. Wouldn’t the anti-war movement be better off with 50 live activists?

At best, there won’t be a war, but it wouldn’t be because of the “human shields”; at worst, we go to war, and there are 50 more casualties than necessary.

Thoughts?

Note: Mods- please move if it turns into a GD…

Well, with only 50 Westerners, the odds of any being at a specific target would be small enough that the military wouldn’t be deterred. Anyway, the military will almost certainly take significant precautions to minimize civilian casualties, so if the Westerners are among the general population, it probably won’t make much difference, at least in the air war.

I don’t think this will work. I think it’s far more likely that the 50 Western anti-war activists will be mistaken for average, run-of-the-mill Great Satan Westerners, and killed off rather quickly.

:slight_smile:

Is it too early in the thread for a little levity…?

Iraqi Soldier: Bring him forward!
Human Shield: I’m not an average run-of-the-mill Great Satan westerner! I’m not an average run-of-the-mill Great Satan westerner!
Iraqi Soldier: Uh, but you are dressed as one.
Human Shield: They dressed me up like this.
Crowd: Augh, we didn’t! We didn’t…
Human Shield: And this isn’t my nose. It’s a false one…

:smiley:

[Iraqi General]
The only good run-of-the-mill Great Satan Westerner is a dead run-of-the-mill Great Satan Westerner.
[/Iraqi General]