medical abbreviation WM

In the context of medical imaging- x-rays, etc. does anyone here know what WM would be? I have XR for x-ray, CT for cat scan, US for ultrasound, MR for magnetic resonance and NM for nuclear medicine. But I’m drawing a blank on WM.

Wall motion tests?

White Male?

I concur, it usually means White Male. At least that’s the default assumption, and it’s the most common use by far for that one.

For imaging, could mean White Matter, meaning part of the brain structure. Or Widened Mediastinum.

Less likely but not rare uses include Wet Mount (a type of sample preparation technique for looking at various body secretions, chiefly vaginal, under the microscope) or Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia.

Could also be Western Medicine.

Or just peruse this site: http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalabbreviations.php

Is there anything before or after it that you’re willing to share in public?

If it’s something like “WM, 38” than it’s almost certainly “white male, 38 years old”

[Insert my own rant about the non-standardization of abbreviations in medical documents here.]

Is the handwritting sloppy? Could the W be a poorly written N? That would fit in with NM.

Or a sloppy “WNL”, which is “Within Normal Limits”, meaning that nothing’s wrong with that particular body part/lab value/test result.

It’s all medical images. It’s printed so handwriting isn’t an issue. The format starts with the two-letter code then what part is being imaged, e.g. “US Breast” or “XR Cervical”. There’s even a code SP which I presume means “Special” because it usually prefixes various specialty *ograms. And for what it’s worth, the ones that say WM are for all different parts of the body and refer to what look like standard x-rays.

Wow! Marvelous!

That must be one large booby.

alternatively, ‘we never looked’.

snicker I like that!