MedicAlert bracelets...who's got 'em?

And I just got the silliest idea… MedAlert challenge coins! Get one with the medical symbol on the one side, and the important info on the other. Whadyathink?:cool:

Oooh, I like that idea! :slight_smile:

(I’m not military, but several places I’ve worked have used challenge coins – lots of ex military in the upper ranks, etc. – so I’m familiar with the concept.)

So if you have a coin challenge, the loser buys the insulin, or what? (Actually, I can’t remember: Can diabetics drink alcohol, or does it depend, or is it entirely unrelated?)

Not all diabetics use insulin: I believe that all Type I diabetics do, but most of us with Type II control it with either diet or meds (or both). But all of us can drink, in moderation. We just have to be smart about it: if we’re planning to have a couple beers on Saturday night, we shouldn’t have pasta for dinner and ice cream for dessert that same night (for example).

So the loser would still buy the beers, or (for the non-drinkers) the diet sodas. :slight_smile:

I bet you could totally get someone to sponsor this idea too if you got in contact with folks. I dunno what the instance is of diabetes among military vets, but if there’s enough, there’s a market for challenge coins. :smiley:

OK, I’ll try not to hijack further.

So if your on metformin your supposed to wear a medic alert bracelet? Jeez, no one tells me anything.

I’ve thought about it because I have a potentially lethal drug allergy. So far I haven’t bothered, largely because it’s not the sort of drug I’d be given in an emergency situation (NSAIDs - nobody gives aspirin or Advil to an unconscious person), so the chances of someone giving it to me when I wasn’t able to tell them not to isn’t very large.

My cousin’s ~10yr old daughter is mentally disabled and has a seizure disorder. She’s got a tatoo because her mother isn’t convinced she won’t lose a bracelet or necklace. I hadn’t seen medical alert tatoos before; in her case I think it’s a really good idea.

That’s what one of the labels on my bottle says. shrugs

A.C. is allergic to several things, including codine, so she’s worn a bracelet for years. Prior to the bracelet, she had a MedicAlert necklace; she switched because bracelets have more room for info. “Diabetic” was added to the bracelet within the past couple years.

I’m supposed to wear one for an allergy to bee stings and penicillin (I do own one), but it doesn’t go with the rest of my jewelry. I guess I’ve decided to take my chances. Gotta suffer for fashion! :stuck_out_tongue:

TequilaShot, our 10 year old daughter, is supposed to wear a dog tag we bought her. She’s not great about wearing it everyday though.

It reads;

Autistic
TequilaShot*
Our address
My cell phone number
Her dad’s cell phone number

We thought it is important for her to wear this because she’s almost completely non-verbal. In an emergency, we wanted to get as much information to emergency personel as we could.

*We put her real name and not the cute lil name I call her here.