meet a rock star

My friend,who works for NASA,met Gene Simmons of Kiss. She said he was nice,and normal. Who would you meet,if you could? 1.Michael Jackson-to see what he really looks like. 2.Ozzy-he seems so normal :wink:

Paul McCartney or Todd Rundgren. Either would be a dream come true.

That which a man had rather were true he more readily believes.

I’ve had a lot of rock and roll moments in my career choice. This thread lets me tell of a favorite story of mine…

I am reviewing a ZZ Top show at The Garden in NYC. This happened while the Knicks and Rangers were in their respective finals, and I got to wander around the back and you could feel the energy from those ongoing playoffs.

I get hooked up through the RCA International department since I’m reviewing the show for a mag in England. So I wind up with aftershow passes.

Instead of just a meet & greet, after the show I am corralled with a bunch of people in business suits to a VIP lounge - sports-themed, naturally - hidden in the bowels of MSG. I find out this is where all of the athletes, sports writers and administratoirs wind down after games.

I also find out it’s an open bar, which was always a plus for a struggling writer!

Anyway, I’m wandering around, and I don’t know ANYONE at this party. Lotsa suits, lotsa money, I’m out of my league. As I am wandering, I notice someone familiar at the bar…

James Hetfield from Metallica! And next to him was Lars! Seems they flew in to catch the show and hang out. So I grabbed an empty seat near them and simply said, “Guys, I grew up listening to your music, and I feel I know you better than anyone else here. I’m just gonna hang here and not get into your shit if that’s okay.”

They both were really cool, asking me what I did, talking about their music, getting plastered together.

Then the ZZ Top guys come out.

The Metallica guys introduce me to THEM! “This is our friend Brian.” I’m totally not believing this, but then it gets better.

The ZZ Top girls come out. The Metallica guys and ZZ Top guys tell them I’m reviewing the show, and next thing I know I am being swooned over, clevage in my face, kisses on my cheek, and the girls are like, “You’re going to give us a GOOD REVIEW, aren’t you?”

Anyway, it winds down and ther Metallica guys say goodbye to me. As I am riding on a totally empty Subway train home, I start laughing uncontrollably in the empty train.

Yer pal,
Satan

Satan, your post reminds me of one of my Halloween costumes of the early 90’s. I went as a ZZ Top girl, complete with big hair, black leather mini skirt with a leopard skin midriff top, and lacy socks with red high heels.

Now, as to what rock star I’d want to meet, I’d have to go with Paul McCartney, Sting, or Don Henley. Or all 3. :slight_smile:

Make that three for Macca. Better still would be Dr. Winston O’Boogie, but…

So many of them seem like they would either be weird, or arrogant, or immature boys who would never grow up.
I guess I’d like to meet Eric Clapton or Sting. They don’t seem abnormal.

Gail
“Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you, my friend–
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again…”
-Steely Dan

I’d like to meet Enya, actually. I’ve always been a fan, and she’s cute too.

Or Kylie Minogue maybe.

Or Weird Al Yankovic.

Or John Williams :slight_smile:

“Waheeey! ‘Duck!’ Get it?”
“Errr… No…”
“Duck! Sounds almost exactly like fu-”

I have met:

Danny Elfman
All of Fishbone (for drinks none the less)
Both Johns of They Might Be Giants
Dickie from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones

I would love to meet:
Morrissey
Robert Smith
Tori Amos

Just add water, it makes it’s own sauce!

My 14 year old daughter is a big Metallica fan. She went to a concert over the summer, with backstage passes. I fretted and worried (being the old foggie that I am - 33) about the crowds and about how the band members would treat her. I didn’t want her hurt emotionally or physically. Anyway, when she got backstage, they were wonderful to her. Called her young lady. Posed for pictures. Signed her leather jacket. Spent some time talking about how she played the guitar, etc. She was on cloud nine forever and I am now a huge fan of the band for being so classy. Of course I don’t like their music much, but that’s another thread.

Living rock stars:

George Harrison
Jimmy Page
Trey Anastasio
Eddie Vedder
Dave Matthews
BB King
Eric Clapton

Dead Rock Stars:
Stevie Ray Vaughan
John Lennon
Michael Hedges
Jimi Hendrix

Satan, that is the coolest story. I’ve always vowed to myself that if I ever ran into a rock star that I loved, I would act exactly how you did. I would state how much their music means to me and tell them I’d leave them alone. (Although, if I ever was in that situation, I know I’d probably become a stereotypical fan and act like an idiot, giving the star a chance to blow me off, and make me think differently of him).

It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Stevie Rave On: Thanks for the kind words, but let me get this straight - you want to meet dead rock stars?

God, man, think of the smell!!

Satan, I probably could get a look at Jimi soon. Isn’t his family digging him up and burying his remains somewhere else (and selling pieces of rock the new headstone is made out of or something?) Why can’t they let him RIP and not try to make every last dollar they can from his fans?

It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.

I also heard that France is demanding the removal of Jim Morrison’s body sometime before 2000. Something with the fans who litter the cemetary with Jack Daniels bottles and condoms.
As for the original question, I’d love to meet David Bowie, any member of REM, or Ray Manzarek (the keyboard player and brains behind The Doors)

Warren Zevon

I used to work as an usher/gopher for the concert series sponsered by the university I went to. I worked a lot of shows including Sam Kinnison, The Vienna Boys Choirs, Rot Hot Chili Peppers, and Whitney Houston. Never met any of the former, but brushed by Flea, who BTW is one of the ugliest men walking upright, and briefly met Houston who I can honestly say is both aloof and boring. Trouble is that carried over to the concert, she has a beautiful voice , but zero stage presence.

I’d like to meet Paul McCartney and/or Ringo Starr. Perhaps Joan Jett, one of the only women who ever successfully fronted an all male band. (Wasn’t the only other one Chrissy Hynde?)

…at night, the ice weasels come…

I would love to meet Jerry Cantrell (see the “Irrational Crushes” thread). Also wouldn’t mind meeting Ed Kowhatever from Live (not even going to attempt spelling his last name), simply to see whether or not he’s as high as his lyrics suggest he might be. Anyone who goes from what is practically a Christian rock band to some weird Eastern mysticism shit in a few years has to be indulging in the wacky weed at least a little.

id love to meet:

Axl Rose
Jimmy Page
Robert Plant
John Paul Jones
Aerosmith
the Black Crowes

lots of them who arent around anymore too…

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

Stevie Rave On,

Who’s Michael Hedges, or did you perhaps mean Michael Hutchence (former singer of INXS) ?

Personnally, I’d like to hang with the boys of Rush for an evening - althoug that could be a disappointment, them being really old and all :wink:

And in reality, I had a beer with the boys of Fates Warning (notably Ray Alder, singer) after a brilliant concert in what must have been the most crappy, small, tacky and gruesome barn they ever played in… They were good sports though, and me and my friends were the only ones with a proper grip on the English language - we’re talking the Dutch equivalent of Redneck Country here - so we basically hung out with them for an hour or two without being interupted. It was cool, and we didn’t make asses out of ourselves.

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Speaking of nominations for ugliest man walking upright…I nominate Geddy Lee.

I’ll second that nomination… I bet Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead takes the Gold Medal once more, though :wink:

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)