Meet Bob

It looks like he’s settling right in. Dog parks are awesome. I love watching the dogs play.

Bob is a handsome fellow!

I think Mort will grow to love playing with Bob’s Tail

Bob’s tail? At Xmas, I would resist the urge to put Bells on Bob’s Tail, even though the ringing might make spirits bright.

A message to Bob from our old cattle dog/ beagle mix Ginger: Don’t bug the cat. I almost got returned for that. It’s a good thing I overheard one of my people on the phone saying it wasn’t working out. I cut it out right away, and nobody better mess with my cats now. You’re a good dog; you’ll figure it out.

There’s a lot of ass-sniffing in that video. A LOT of ass-sniffing.

Looks like Bob made some friends.

It’s great to see Bob settling in and going out for his first adventures from his new home. Jack Batty, you’re doing good work and will be well rewarded by great big sloppy waves of doggy love that I’m sure you’re already receiving! :slight_smile:

And thanks for the heartwarming pics!

Think of it as [del]hand-[/del] paw-shaking and small talk. All good, neighborly stuff!

Well, as a wolf pup, you’d know! :smiley:

There’s not really anything like a dog park where I live, so dogs tend to meet unfamiliar dogs on much smaller scale. It’s absolutely delightful and fascinating to see how they interact as a larger group.

It’s much the same way that they interact in a smaller group.* The main difference is that in a park there’s a lot of running and chasing, very much like children playing.**

• Ass-sniffing is a featured activity.

** “A dog is like an eternal Peter Pan, a child who never grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved.” - Aaron Katcher

Bob is the greatest!!

Congratulations to both you and Bob! He seems quite the handsome, friendly fellow - except for Mort. :slight_smile:

And, for a pet dog, a better palindromic name than say, I Love Me Vol. I :wink:

Might even make Mort-al spirits bright.

:smiley:

This technique may backfire. What you’re doing is shutting up the already-established resident, and giving the new one the run of the place. That’s backwards, and likely to lead to massive resentment, and/or to long term insecurity on the part of the cat.

I hope it does manage to work out, as it may be too late to shift gears entirely now. But when you get Bob used to the crate, let poor Mort out. Don’t be surprised if Mort then pisses all over the place, trying to reclaim it; and don’t get mad at him for it if he does. Get some Nature’s Miracle de-scenter, and have it in stock; it works pretty well.

And now I’m in the ER getting IV antibiotics and a finger splint for an infected cat bite. Serves me right. Thank Cchrist for Lexipro.

Oh, no ! I’ve had that myself. I hope you feel better soon.

I’ll bet you wanna pet that, don’t you?

I hope your hand heals up.

I have two cats and just acquired an 8 week old puppy yesterday and my younger cat’s nose is all out of joint over it. Then again, she throws hissy fits when her bestie bro comes back from the groomer looking and smelling “wrong” and she hisses and spits at him for about two weeks until she chills out. He’s always quite upset and offended about it too, can’t figure out why she’s being so awful to him. Anyway, upshot is that she gets over it and most cats will if you just leave them to it and let them settle it between them. So long as Bob isn’t actively chasing Mort, let them figure it out. And I think you know now why holding a pissed off freaking out cat is not a good idea. Terri’s only 8 lbs but I leave her alone when she’s in a mood because little or no, she is fierce and could fuck my shit up. Anyway, agree you shouldn’t lock the cat up, it’s his house and Bob is the one needs to learn respect for his elders lol.

I think the cat situation will work its way out. Mort is the one with the run of the house not the dog. I am a little concerned about his prey drive though as that seems to be the biggest challenge on a walk - rogue squirrels. Im going to sign up for a beginners obedience class; it’s sort of in the affordable range, but I think it’ll pay off in the end.

In the mean time, crate training is going very well. Today was first run in the crate home alone. About 20 minutes this morning when I went out for coffee and just a little while ago I went to the bank and to the pet store and to pick up a prescription, leaving him on his own for about two hours. I’d left him with a bone a Kong filled with kibble and peanut butter and when I rerturned, he was lying calmly in his crate, wagging his tail. He didn’t even get up until I opened the door and let him out.
So … infected finger and bad cat relations notwithstanding, I couldn’t be happier with Bob so far.

:slight_smile:

Ah – so Mort’s no longer shut up in the basement? Good to hear.

Glad things are going better. Obedience school does sound like it might be a good idea.

Be aware, in general, that presuming Bob winds up accepting Mort as a member of his pack and not to be attacked, that this wouldn’t necessarily apply to any other cats he might come across. Many dogs are generally cat-friendly, and don’t think of cats as prey even if they think of squirrels as such; but others have only learned to exempt their own individual cats from the category of “prey”.