Melania sells her art

So, Mrs. Trump is launching an NFT platform where you can buy her digital art for $150. The well known philanthropist says a portion of the proceeds will help children. Hurry because you only have (you guessed it) two weeks to purchase. I’m sure millions will be investing in Melania schlock. Maybe some Russian oligarchs? And think of the children when buying!

I really don’t care, do you?

Maybe she should try OnlyFans.

Maybe she’ll use it to fund her highly successful anti-bullying campaign. :roll_eyes:

Is that what kids are calling it these days?

150 $? I would pay that for almost anyone else’s art. But I am afraid her “art” is missing an f at the very start. And that is a generous interpretation.

To benefit “children” in general, or rather, HER children specifically, because it makes a difference and I wouldn’t put it past her if it was the latter.

If they’re NFTs, then she’s probably not actually selling the art. The only way she would is if she was giving up copyright or offering an irrevocable license (like the SDMB has for our posts).

The art is not even hers, I am assuming it is a portrait of her:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/16/politics/melania-trump-nft/index.html

The NFT is a “watercolor” by Marc-Antoine Coulon that includes an audio recording of Trump, according to a press release from her office. The former first lady’s digital art will cost approximately $150 and will be available to purchase between December 16 and December 31, 2021.

So, after hubby is convicted, paying for lawyers to keep her step-children out of jail?

We’re all somebody’s child, eh.

She can just keep the money and not be a liar, if all she said was “it’ll help children.”

Huh. I’ll allow that maybe I can’t wrap my Boomer head around NFT or blockchain cryptocurrency so I don’t get it why someone would part with “real”(*) money for this. At least an autographed picture I can tape to the wall.

(* I realize the mild irony in comparing “realness” of fiat money based on that the country will still be there next year, vs. crypto based on that their servers will)

"I’m giving the money to Jerry’s kids.

His real kids."

Any “earnings” will probably by her ticket home.

The one in Europe.

~VOW

So what exactly is an NFT anyway?

A Non-Fungible Token. Effectively using cryptocurrency blockchains to “store” or “own” art.

From what I gather, all you get is a URL. If the website falls off the face of the internet, you’ve lost your art. It’s frequently used in “scams” and is about as sensible an investment as memecoins.

It’s like those certificates telling you you own a piece of the moon. Except it’s not on paper and it doesn’t give you “a piece of the moon”, instead it says you own what’s on the web at a particular URL. But it’s crypto, so the people propping up that particular pyramid have to keep saying it’s awesome.

I don’t completely get it (even after reading the Wikipedia page on NFTs), but any further questions I have should probably go in a separate thread so as not to derail this one.

We’ve had a few threads about NFTs, Shoeless:

Thank Bo I’ll check those out.