"Men" and "Women" in Irish?

We’re having a St. Patrick’s Day party! I’d like to make signs indicating the location of both the men’s and women’s restrooms. Does anyone know what they are called in Irish? Hope this is the correct forum. Thanks in advance!

How about Lads and Lassies?

Man: duine or fear
Woman: bean

The plural form of man ie men in Irish is “Fir”
The plural form of woman ie women in Irish is “mná”
Pronounced “firr” and “minaw” respectively.
These are commonly seen on the doors of restrooms in Ireland and Irish pubs around the world.

The question, of course, being “Will your guests know what the signs mean?” Things like “Setters and Pointers” or “Buoys and Gulls” or “Doe and Buck” are fairly easy to figure out, but set two signs that say “Fir” and “Mna” in front of me and I’ll find an empty garbage can or something first.

Yes that sometimes confuses people. :slight_smile:

Add the proper international signs.

Always reminds me of the public toilets in Rossnowlagh for some reason :confused:

I’ve been to Ireland so I know “fir” and “mna”, but not being a dog person (and evidently, being pretty dense), which is the Setter and which is the Pointer?

Well, you see, girls have to set down, while boys just point in the right direction.

'Zactly…

Many a Gulf Coast seafood joint (“restaurant” is a bit fancy) offers a choice between “Inboards” & “Outboards.”

I’d also suggest an additional hint along with the Irish words.

Right. Just put the sign “Mna” on the women’s room, and drunken Yanks will all take that as a typo for “Man.” :rolleyes:

Ah- I was overthinking it. “How is one breed of dog inherently female, and one is inherently male? I know there are both male and female setters, and male and female pointers, so…”

I’ll slink away now.

We had an Irish pub in our town, but it went out of business and was replaced by a bar called The Jury Room, I suppose because of the abundance of lawyers in town. It is decorated in a court motif, with lots of wood and brass, and law books on bookshelves.
The restrooms are labeled “Hung” and “Split.”

Ew!