Metal Gear Solid 4 / Fallout -- Deliberate allusion, or just a coincidence?

Fallout famously opens with the line, “War never changes.” In Metal Gear Solid 4, the game opens with a soliloquy from Solid Snake that starts with the lines, “War. War has changed.” (Incidentally, that was one bad-ass soliloquy.)

So, simple question: Was MGS deliberately tipping their [del]bandanna[/del] hat to Fallout, or was it just a (rather remarkable) coincidence?

The original Japanese is the same as the English localization. Fallout never made much of a splash in Japan, so I’m inclined to chalk it up to a coincidence, especially since they didn’t use the double “war”.

Ah ha–I got the doubled “war” backwards (and just confirmed by watching a little bit of the MGS4 opener on youtube). Fair enough–one hell of a coincidence.

I think I’m going to have to watch the MGS4 opener in full when I get home. Was not hugely impressed w/ the game overall, but goddamn that was one badass soliloquy.

Hideo Kojima isn’t your typical Japanese person, though. Nobody can accuse the series of being realistic, science-wise, but he seems to have a pretty good grasp of Western culture and Hollywood movies. That said, he mentions his influences, and I’m not aware of him enjoying the Fallout series.

To echo lurkinghorror, Hideo Kojima is a bit odd, but definitely aware of many non-Japanese cultural ideas. It’s hard to say what he might or might not have been intending. However, Fallout 3 and New Vegas were been released in Japan.

Snake (and his codename in MGS2: Plissken) was named after Snake Plissken; aa deliberate reference to Escape from L.A. and Escape from New York. Did those do well in Japan? If not, I suspect that it’s a Fallout reference. Kojima seems pretty familiar with Western media.