Meteor to Hit Earth in 2029?

Russia to Plan Deflection of Asteroid From Earth

From that article:

He doesn’t remember exactly? But it seems to him? Sounds like a real authority.

I’ll only be 96 in 2036 and I’m not ready to go. I may not go at all; even if the rest of you do.

I’m glad this was clarified right off the bat.

That’s not really accurate.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/supervolcano/under/under_02.html

Even if you want to assume that there is an eruption pattern, the “schedule” has the eruption somewhere between 20,000 and 160,000 years away. I think we can let our guard down. :slight_smile:

If we know in 2029 that it will hit us seven years hence, couldn’t we hit it with some kind of Mega-ICBM?

Now let’s think this through: What is likely to happen to a 270 mile-across asteroid if you hit it with the largest nuclear weapon in our arsenal? It is not going to be vaporized, it likely won’t even be broken into pieces small enough to reduce the danger. Getting hit by a 10-mile across fragment is still an extinction level event.

…And just to clarify: the Wikipedia article says that 99942 Apophis is 350 meters across, or 1,100 feet in diameter.

You don’t have to blow them up, just change their direction slightly. That can be done with explosives or heating one side.

Their plans call for launching a rocket ship with Putin in it. Putin will personally wrestle with the meteor and capture it. Thus saving Earth and giving the grateful public another glimpse of his wonderful abs.

Well, they are pretty good abs!

Probably the easiest way to change an asteroid’s orbit is to modify its albedo (i.e. paint it white or black) and then let the Yarkovsky Effect have its way. You’d have to be able to do this several years in advance in order for the change to be large enough to be meaningful.