Mhendo's suspension

It’s bullshit and twickster has made yet another bad call as a moderator. That’s all.

Link?

Regards,
Shodan

Agreed.

Agreed. Parsing it out, I have to really twist around to find “you are condescending and self-righteous” to be a personal insult. Rude, sure. But it’s not at the level where my monocle is going to pop off into my brandy snifter.

I thought the warning was plenty justified: the post was an attack on Czarcasm personally and not a response to his post. And as someone who received one of mhendo’s charming missives last week I voted in favor of the suspension. twickster did not do that on her own; it was discussed by the mods and they overwhelmingly voted in favor of a month’s suspension. We give people a wide berth in criticizing our actions, but outright abuse isn’t allowed.

You said it, mister.

Well, on that I’ll take your word for it - we didn’t see the PM to either you or twickster, and if he was too shy to post it in public, I can only imagine that it ratcheted up the vitriol. However, the initial warning was still, IMO, out of bounds. Calling people “self-righteous” and “condescending” shouldn’t be a violation of rules - those are pretty specific descriptions of posting behavior (and they aren’t all that inaccurate, either).

I’m not sure people who curse out the staff have any expectations of confidentiality, but I think you’re going to have to take our word on it.

That’s a very selective quoting of the post, which I’m quoting in full here. These are insults of the person making the posts. The rule is that you can attack the arguments, but not the person making the posts. You can characterize an argument or arguing style. I don’t recall any dispensation for “descriptions of posting behavior.” That’s too vague to be useful and would seem to allow for personal insults.

Overall, given the combination of the posts I just read, (You can’t argue that the warning he was given prior to the one you are questioning was NOT warrented, surely?) plus the nasty PMS, I think maybe the suspension was called for, if just to give Mhendo time to cool down and get his compusure back. Maybe there are things he needs to deal with offline? :confused: (Edit: And if so, I wish him well and hope things get better for him soon.) But two warnings within a week plus nasty PMs to moderators? I think a step or two back to calm down is in order, myself.

In a situation like this, does the offender get any consideration for being right?

But who will speak for the Orioles?

You’re not allowed to insult other posters (hint: don’t do it in this thread either), and no, “But it’s true!” is not a defense.

Jesus christ, do I need to make another thread in the pit so that people can be appropriately dismissive of Czarcasm’s posting habits in ATMB or will you mods chill out?

This is fucking ridiculous.

I think you’re onto something! If you want to insult someone, start a Pit thread and do it to your heart’s content. Don’t do it in ATMB.

mhendo wasn’t suspended for insulting Czarcasm, he was suspended to responding to a warning with several profane and abusive PMs.

Hint: If you want to protest a warning, don’t lead off with “fuck you.”

I’m not going to weigh in on the suspension, but will anything ever be done about Czarcasm’s incessant junior modding? I see people get warned for calling him out over it, yet I’ve never seen anyone in power disparaging him for attempting to still do a job he no longer holds. This isn’t acceptable for the peanut gallery in general, so why is it okay for a former moderator? Just curious.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. Czarcasm’s posting style in ATMB is inextricably linked to mhendo’s warnings and suspensions. If you don’t create a space where all of those can be discussed in conjunction, you’re going to get bleed-through. This isn’t exactly rocket science and by the way, this thread is not for moderators to justify their poor calls. Start your own thread if you want to do that.

Seconded.

We don’t accept “it’s his fault I insulted him” as a defense.

Mhendo went a little too far after the warning was issued, but I can’t see that the Mods have covered themselves in glory here.

Czarcasm is an apologist for every Mod action- you don’t have to be Nostradamus to follow that. The warning given was unnecessary and the reaction was not surprising.

That whole thread is a series of backflips and contradictions by the Moderators.

Please take your justifications to another thread.