Mice are mocking me

I keep a very clean house and kitchen, a lot of which is designed to prevent rodents and bugs. We rarely see ants but I’m sure there are mice. They mostly pillage stuff in the garage and I’ve seen signs of them in the crawl space. I never see mouse dropping in the stove or anything.

So I went out and bought some glue traps. I was going to use old fashioned ‘snap your neck’ style traps but I wanted to make an example out of the first sorry ass looter who got caught in my glue trap. “You will suffer a long painful death right out in the open where all of the mouse community can get a good look!”

I started with two traps with peanut butter as bait, one by the garage door and the other at the back of the garage.
The one by the door is there. The peanut butter is gone and if I’m seeing things correctly, they ate the glue also! If it were a car, it would be up on blocks.
The other trap is GONE. Am I “Gonna need a bigger boat”? How does a mouse escape with a glue trap hanging from its leg? Ugh!

It’s already dropped well below freezing here (Canada, gotta love it) … and the mice think I owe them accomodations … best thing I have found is one of those “live” traps, where they enter the opening, scurry up a slight incline and get tipped into the reservoir… as long as it is placed along a wall with the nice (to mice) dark entrance along the wall side of the trap, you often don’t even need bait. (Note, these traps are significantly more expensive than the break their little necks variety).

If you want revenge on the little buggers, you can put poison pellets in the trap, or simply release them in the parking lot when the neighbourhood cats are there.

The neighbourhood cats love me.

I’ll trade your little mice for the giant monster rats that just moved into my house. I have a cat (Bill) which you think would deter them, but no. He hears them in the wall and he hides. I am very disappointed in this embarrasment to cat-hood.

My sympathies Rooves.
At least you’re properly prepared with a hard heart.

When you have mice, it’s war. The mice must all die, no namby-pamby mercy at all.
I suggest making damn sure that all foods are well tucked away, and any source of water you have be eliminated. Your home needs to be a desert. Then, traps and poison should be set. The idea is, there’s no payoff (in the form of food or water) for going into your abode, but there is danger.
Kill them!

Forbin, fellow veteran of the mice wars.

Heh. I have a suggestion, Rooves.

I think you know where I’m going with this. :wink:

Get a cat.

Years ago I tried the glue traps and had an experience similar to yours. I now use the old fashioned-break-the-neck kind.

Forget about peanut butter - cheese etc - A “jelly belly” brand jelly bean firmly squashed onto the food holder of a OFBTN trap will get them every time. The highly scented JB jelly bean draws them in with it’s powerful food smell, and then the trick is that they have to work to get the sticky bean off the food holder, and that’s what trips the wire. They can’t just nibble the edges or lick it off.

Works every time!

After some traps mysteriously disappeared, I found out I had to anchor them down. Duct tape or wide celophane tape worked for me. If you don’t, and a mouse gets glued only with one paw or clamped poorly by a spring trap, they can drag the contraption for quite a distance. Then they get stuck underneath something, die and you can’t find the smell. So tape 'em down!

It’s too cold where I live for feral cats in the winter to survive, but I put my dead mice on the patio in the hopes that some carnivore or scavenger will benefit. They disappear so fast during the day, I have been curious what kind of animal it was, so I train a video camera on the spot. Each time, a big crow lights next to the body, grabs the carcas and takes off in 2 seconds.

MMmm, dead mouse bodies for dinner… :eek:

We had a mouse a couple weeks ago. We live on the 4th floor of a 15 floor building (they claim 16 but I know it’s 15. They skip the 13th floor) and had the experience of finding out these little things in the kitchen and closet put there by the caretaker are mousetraps.

It wasn’t bothering me but Mom woke me up to ask if I heard squeaking every so often. I sleepily replied yes and turned over to go back to sleep… only to have Mom wander looking for the sound and nearly freaking when she realized the glue trap had moved about 10cm, was still shaking, and was squeaking.

So me, the pregnant woman had to climb out of bed, get rubber gloves and a shoe box. Put the mouse, trap and all, into the shoebox, into a plastic bag and drop it down the garbage chute.

I did this at 2am, with Mom freaking out, a very scared mouse, and a very tired me. Then Mom kept me up for another hour because she was afraid another mouse would come in somehow. We have yet to see another mouse, this one was adventurous they don’t usually come up to the 4th floor, and now I am my Mom’s hero for getting rid of the evil vermin.

It was a really cute mouse though.

Man, and I just watched Willard. :eek:

WRONG ATTITUDE!
100 PUSHUPS, NOW!
:mad:

Frankly, I don’t see what the appeal of non beak-their-little-necks traps is. To me there is something deeply satasfying hearing a “SNAP! Squeeeee…” in the middle of the night.

I had a mousie problem this year. I bought the live traps and relocated them. It worked well and I had no guilty feelings. I baited the traps with several things but found that some of my horse feed worked best.

BTW - my two cats didn’t seem fazed at all by the mice.

StG

Well, they’re potentially messy, and the snap bar hurts like hell when it clamps your finger upon an erroneous setting.

Because sometimes they don’t break the neck, but catch a rodent leg instead.

I have cats who just LOVE to play with mousies. I only wish that the cats didn’t like to play with mousies quite so much. The cats won’t kill the mice, but they will terrorize them enough that the mice decide that it’s not worth living in the Bodoni household.

Damn straight.

I went on a mini-rampage last summer when one of those little bastards ran over my bare toes, this summer I had mice in my ceiling, and this fall they’re INSANE.

They make some very nice, very sticky glue traps these days (one trap caught two of them last weekend) and, yes, there is a better mousetrap. Let me tell you, this thing rocks. Just a little peanut butter way up inside and the mouse is nearly trapped inside. It’s easy to bait, easy to set (just pinch it open), and, best of all, easy to get the damn rodent out of there - you don’t have to touch the thing.

Glue traps here, snap traps there, and regular ol’ D-Con seems to be fighting the losing battle quite nicely.

That “big crow” might be a raven. They are very savvy scavengers.

I can just picture these little punks back at their hideout sniffing the glue from my traps and eating the peanut butter when they get the munchies. I’m going to move on to the Snap-yer-neck style and see what happens.

Ha ha ha Eddy! Actually, that’s one oversight I had with my little cat rant back then.

I wasn’t so awed that they stole the trap but that they actually were able to get it to someplace I can’t find it.

I can just picture these little punks back at their hideout sniffing the glue from my traps and eating the peanut butter when they get the munchies. I’m going to move on to the Snap-yer-neck style and see what happens.

Ha ha ha Eddy! Actually, that’s one oversight I had with my little cat rant back then.

I wasn’t so awed that they stole the trap but that they actually were able to get it to someplace I can’t find it.