[QUOTE=Wee Bairn]
I can see not making a Hitler joke to a group of Holocaust suriviors, but making it to a group of young hip Jewsih teens from Astoria? Would they even care?
[/QUOTE]
Yes. They would. A lot. I’m only 44, I didn’t live in Germany during WWII but my Dad did. A group of teens at this point is not far removed from the stories told at family gatherings, shared by the grandparents and greats, and parents themselves.
It isn’t just a matter of time, it’s a matter of taste, and audience threshold. That’s being glossed over too, here, it seems to me. How so?
Richard Pryor released an LP called Bicentennial Nigger. ( release date: 1/01/1976. Warner Brothers Records. UPC: 075992733748 ). Did all of his audience walk out after he released this album, every time he used that word? He did not. He did, in fact, perform a routine at some point before he was injured, a routine that wound up in one of his two hugely successful concert films that went into wide release where he spoke at great length about a trip to Africa. He said he wa surrounded by thousands and thousands of black men and women and children and not a nigger amongst them. ( I’m paraphrasing but the routine says this, not word for word but darned close. I can’t FIND the routine word for word, which is weird. ).
Point being, teenageres or oldsters, if you have been raised in an environment where certain words and ideas are flashwords and elicit a strong response, then you have.
It is also an axiom of modern life that Jackie Mason can crack jokes at the expense of Jewish stereotypes and others cannot. Richard Pryor can title his album as he did. Gangsta rappers can use the word " niggah " as a term of endearment without vilification by their peers.
About 7 years ago, I was in Miami on Star Island. I shot the MTV Cribs Star Island House Party with Ja Rule. All of the footage that is at the house, of the crowds and of Ja Rule and the others is my footage. There is some more jiggly hand-held that is not mine.
I was setting up when Ja Rule got out of his limo with his posse. He saw me in the driveway, near the fountain, getting ready. I’d shot a Cribs with him already and he recognized me and in his stoned state, walked towards me and yelled out, " Hey Niggah, how you been ?? ". I was alone, so know his comment was aimed at me, the very white cameraman. I just cracked up and returned his hug. His posse was…uh…slackjawed with surprise. Why was Ja hugging me? Why was he addressing me as such?
I was amused, and shocked that he chose to use that with me, but it was his way of saying he was okay with me. Strange, but true.
I used to live in Astoria. Find me a group of young hip or not hip Jewish teenagers in Astoria. I think you’ll have a rough time with that, but I might be wrong.