[QUOTE=you with the face]
When people do fucked up things, they need to be called on it.
[/quote]
Everyone here agrees with that. Please cite any posts here that claim otherwise. The question is whether anyone here knows in the epistemological sense that Richards holds the belief that one race is superior/inferior to another! NO ONE here is claiming that what he did was morally defensible or that he shouldn’t be called on issuing profoundly ugly, offensive racial remarks. (Note I said “racial” rather than “racist”, since we can’t know his beliefs on this point!)
[QUOTE=you with the face]
Imagine if we were talking about a physical attack instead of a verbal one. What if Richards–instead of hurling invectives at an audience member–had beaten the guy up and had broken his nose into two pieces. I’d expect everyone to say stuff like this…
“Wow, what an asshole jerk.”
“He’s got major issues and needs help.”
“WTF? I never knew Richards was like this. That was fucking ridiculous what he did. What a violent thug.”
…and so and so forth.
What I wouldn’t expect is people to say stuff like this:
“Wow, what an asshole jerk. I think he was just trying to scare the guy, though. I don’t think he meant to break his nose.”
“He’s got major issues and needs help. That said, I don’t think he’s a violent person.”
“Richards was wrong, but it was just one incident that we know of. We don’t have enough evidence to say that he is violent. Harm could come out of calling him violent if he’s really not. So I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt.”
[/quote]
You’re doing it again! Your inapt and intellectually dishonest analogies reveal you to be totally lacking in intellectual integrity. Violence, like screaming racial epithets, is a BEHAVIOR, not a belief! I can’t stress this point enough! You can judge someone for their behavior because the evidence for it is overt and presents no epistemological difficulties. But you CANNOT, by observation of the behavior alone, know or conclude what the offender is thinking or what he/she believes! It is an epistemic impossibility!
That’s why our justice system does not even think of prosecuting someone for their beliefs, but ONLY for their actual behavior. No one here is defending Richards’ behavior! Some of us are only saying that it is epistemologically impossible for us to know his beliefs, at least without evidence of whether he believes that blacks are inferior. We can and should heap plenty of scorn on him, but until more data is available, we can’t know that he holds the belief that blacks are inferior – in other words, we can’t know that he is a racist.
Words have meaning, and by throwing around the word “racist” so ignorantly and flippantly without recognizing what the word actually means is just plain indefensible!
