[QUOTE=levdrakon]
I thought this thread had died because it wasn’t showing up in my “SDMP control panel.” Weird. Anyway…
Why is it you occupy such a position of authority such that you can question how I go about my friendship relationships but I can’t question you about how you go about yours without you responding you don’t need me telling you how relationships work because you’re a big boy?
[/QUOTE]
Bullshit, where are you? Yoo-hoo! Bullshiiiit? C’mere, boy, c’mere! Oh, there you are!
I’d invite you, sir, to reread my post, but just for the hell of it, what I said was: [Li’l Pluck]Maybe **I’m ** the odd-ball here, but **I’ve ** never become friends with someone who possessed some trait that might be fundamental to their existence (y’know, the way that race, sex, religion, politics, if they have children, whether or not they’re in a relationship, what-the-hell-ever very often can be) without imagining that said trait and how it impacts their life and view of the world might, at some point (but not always) be the focus of conversation between us.
Perhaps your mileage varies.[/Li’l Pluck]
(bolding mine)
IOW, I wasn’t questioning how **you ** go about forming **your ** riendships (in the grander scheme of things, I don’t, at least at this time, particularly care); I was simply telling you what was important to **me ** in terms of my understanding of the (close) friendships that **I’ve ** formed in my big-boy 36 years of existence.
Where the hell you get the idea that what I wrote means that I presume to be the authority on friendships, I don’t know. And FTR (please keep this in mind for wherever else you might see me on these boards): People disagreeing with me, I can take, but one thing that really gets in my craw is being misunderstood, especially when I believe that I’ve not done anything to contribute to the misunderstanding. And if I do , on the (if I do say so myself) rare occasion make that mistake, I’ll be an adult and own up to it. I don’t, however, believe that I made that error in the post that you quoted.
[QUOTE=levdrakon]
Sure important aspects of your friends’ lives will eventually become a topic of conversation as the friendship grows but sometimes some of those traits which are fundamental to your existence are the last thing you really want to talk about with certain of your friends. If you’re a woman do we really need to focus on the fact the guys you work with don’t give your engineering degree as much weight as men’s engineering degrees or do you want to relax with a friend with whom you share mostly the fact you’re both obsessed with the care and breeding of South American Cichlids?
Sometimes blacks want to talk about anything but the fact they’re black. Sometimes women want to talk about anything but the fact they’re a walking uterus. Sometimes a white guy would like to talk about anything but the fact he’s apparently oppressing the whole world.
[/QUOTE]
No argument here. Except for that “white guy oppressing the whole world” snark at the end. Totally unncecessary, yet revealingly defensive.