Michigan Summer Dopefest

1. I’ll bring a couple six-packs of IBC for those of us who don’t partake of the harder stuff.

2. Um… does that include any instrument? I play the violin. :slight_smile:

LL

1. Hi Opal!

2. I will preview my posts. I will preview my posts…

LL

wellllll

1. Is it considered bad form to be an adult at a Dopefest and not drink??? (I don’t drink at all if I’m going to be driving at all - something about how it would negatively impact my ability to work with convicts if I became one).

2. Stuff to bring? well, I am known for my home made mustards (both spicey and non spicey varieties), would that be considered something good to bring? and depending on time constraints, I can either make (some of my mother’s wonderful potato salad) or purchase (some of some one else’s wonderful potato salad). or would there be other things I should plan on bringing??? (and even if I end up not being able to come, I could possibly send some mustard via Bunny Girl - it does generally get raves)

wring: Bring the mustard. Please, please, please, bring the mustard! And yes, it’s perfectly okay to not drink. As long as you don’t make fun of the rest of us staggering louts. :smiley:

LazarusLong: Bring the violin. Hey, you don’t happen to do any bluegrass/country fiddlin’ stuff, do you? Because if you do, my husband may hire you to gig with him. :smiley:

Sue Dunhym: YEAH! Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoo! :D:D:D

xploder: Get a box of White Grenache. The picture will be funnier. :smiley:

Well, I still don’t know where I’ll be this summer (Damn you to hell, idiots to whom I sent resumes!), but it’s on my calander and I’ll make every effort to come.

Everyone think good “Katrina gets a rockin’ internship” thoughts!

xploder, I won’t know what Dad has available in the ol’ freezer until we get closer to D-Day, but I’ll bring something interesting anyway!

wring, if you can’t go (although I sure hope you do!!), I’ll be happy to transport anything for you.

I’ll bring a dessert. I’m not a huge drinker of the, um, “loaded” beverages (although I lightly partake) so I’ll try to remember to bring something non-alk too.

Alrighty! This’ll be fun.

When I sai bring an instrument if ya play it, I MEAN any instrument. I don’t care if you play bagpipes, washboard or butt-trombone! I’ve been in bands that had an amazing amount of oddball instruments so no big deal :smiley:

On the other hand, we do NOT have to worry about neighbors complaining about noise as my house backs onto woods, the neighbors on one side party, on the other side don’t care WHAT goes on and the ones across the street are deaf. We tend to get away with a lot around here :smiley:

PLEASE bring hot spicy mustard!!! I LOVE that stuff! For any who care to burn their mouth, I have ground habanero for sprinkles on whatever you want.

Again, if there is any type of beverage alcoholic or not, that you want, please let me or Persephone know!!!

::Taking a little firmer stance.::

I’ll be there.

How do we get directions? Do you email them out?

I can bring taco sald. I’ve always liked my mom’s and I enjoy experimenting a little. I’ll have her guidance for those worried about my meager cooking ability.

Okay, get ready to be shocked: There are affordable Chicago-Flint airfares for the weekend of the Dopefest! So I might actually be able to come. How far are y’all from the airport? Would it be a big hassle to get back and forth? Would someone maybe drive me? I’d bring food or drink and swear an oath not to play Freebird…

Let the “Become Magdalene’s Favorite Michigan Doper” contest begin!

magdalene (and any other dopers who may be flying in): I will be the airport shuttle. I’m just a few miles from Bishop Airport, literally. Less than ten. Maybe less than five. I’m not sure. I’ve never checked the odometer.

Any other Dopers who wish to fly in to Detroit, we’ll pick you up there, too. I swear on the Goddess, we will get you here! :smiley:

Hey xploder! What would you say about taking everyone that shows up on Friday out to the Village Inn? A pre-party party? Would that just totally kick butt, or what? :smiley:

What Persephone said…if you get TO Michigan, we WILL get you here! I’ll send the directions to Persephone and anyone that wants them can get them from her. Just email to flintdope@hotmail.com and she’ll send them right out!

Now then, where will everyone be coming from? I know where a few of you are located but by no means ALL of you! Just wondering…

I live right off of I-69 [Beavis voice] heh heh heh heh, she said 69 [/Beavis voice], between Perry and East Lansing.

I’ll bring my kazoo! :smiley:

Pers, I’ll be back up airport runner. I’ve got no kids and I’ll probably be coming solo, so I’ll be able to make airport runs if need be.

xploder, I’m in Lansing.

Thanks, BunnyGirl! Not going to bring Mr. BunnyGirl this time? Rats. We could use a bass player. :smiley:

And yes, the flintdope@hotmail.com address is indeed still open. Now, this fest isn’t until June, so there’s no huge hurry. But any out-of-staters (or anyone else who will be overnighting here) coming in should probably let either xploder or I know as soon as you know whether or not you can actually make it. Also, there are several reasonably-priced motels here (Super8, Motel 6, Red Roof, etc), if you want a room. Both our homes are open to overnight guests as well, if you want to cut down on expenses. What we can do is block some rooms at one place, if you like, so that you’re all centrally located. The motels are not near the airport (although I do believe there is a Super8 or something directly across the street) but Flint isn’t exactly a monstrously-sized city. Doesn’t take more than 15-20 minutes to get anywhere here. :smiley:

Oh, and for the non-drinkers? Please–do not worry about bringing your own. We’ll have soft drinks too. We promise! :smiley:

You’re just saying that because I got to drunk to play any more last time…of course, we HAD been drinking for quite some time…

Pers, well I’m not making any promises. At the last DopeFest, he was (how do I say this?), well, bored stiff. He enjoyed meeting everyone but is pretty much a one-on-one type person and doesn’t really get into the vibe of “big groups with lots of strangers” like I do. :smiley: But, hey, stranger things have happened and I’ll make sure we toss the ol’ bass in the back if he does come. He just got a new 8-string and has been having much fun with it.

Just to bring an old-ass thread back into daylight…If at all possible, I’m gonna drive to Montreal and pick up matt_mcl and bring him back (shhhh…Persephone’s gonna go to but she doesn’t know it yet)

The dates are CONFIRMED as June 22-24. Anyone is more than welcome to crash at my house. I also have a nice big tent. Let me know starting NOW who thinks they will have a lock on being able to attend for those dates.

Xploder is trying to coerce me to come with some harebrained scheme of driving 10 hours to Montreal to pick me up… so i might be able to go :slight_smile:

Anyone want to have a convoy from Chicago?

Well, since this is turning into Doperpalooza or something, I hereby vow that, no matter where my internship search takes me this summer, I will find SOME way to make it back home for this here shindig.

No, really. :slight_smile: