Middle Earth FA65 D&D Game: Next Adventure – (11th)

I could cast a Minor Illusion [forest canopy or other matching terrain], tho I am not sure it can move with the party.

Ghan wonders if ‘Pass without Trace’ would work (he can apply it to the whole party.)

What if we paused briefly, hid under a Minor Illusion, cast 'Pass without Trace then sneaked off for a bit?
We might travel slower, but it could fool the cursed Crebain.

If the party goes to close formation and stealth mode, the Pass without Trace should help, but probably won’t be full proof. It might confuse them for a while. There just isn’t enough cover to stay out of sight from a dozen eyes in the sky. All with advantage perception.

If they are tracking us, we probably don’t want to lead them straight back to our meeting spot. We should double back and try to lose them if we can. Find a place with better cover.

Someone with better map reading skills, can you see such a spot?

Ghan thanks Gwaelur, but unfortunately sees some difficulties:

• any delay to our meeting increases the risk of an ambush
  • there hasn’t been much cover so far
  • even if we hide for a bit, the Crebain will spot us when we do start moving again

There are a few points around where you should meet Mirëgol where you can arrange the meeting a wooded area though. That aspect could work well. Speed is probably your best ally at this point.

“I wondered whether one of us could fly up and get in among them, scatter them with a few attacks. I think we would need to be able to make the attacker both invisible and capable of flight. While I can do both, I can’t concentrate on both spells at once. @Hejren, do you know the spell of Invisibility or Fly?”

“If we can scatter the birds, all the better, but I agree that a meeting place in a location with cover is a good idea.”

[wouldn’t let me edit previous post tho I was within the 5 min limit]

I can fly in my animal form. Not sure if I can cast anything while in such form. Cast while in free fall, change back before hitting the ground?

All 3 of us birds could approach, the two familiars could do some aerobatics to confuse them, then my gal nukes them with a fireball?

Ghan can’t shapeshift into any flying creature - but in any case is a bit nervous about the Crebain attacking (as a Swarm) any of us flying into them. :fearful:

Let’s keep moving briskly and hope any ambushers can’t reach us in time.

So the day stretches on and the Crebain grow in numbers to about 25. You see many come and go during the day. Tonight’s camp should be interesting.

Date: May 29 Hejren Portents : 15, 20 (at least as of midnight still)

Any special prep for camp? Do you want to head into a wooded area at least?

Bitur knows Invisibility as well. He typically doesn’t prepare it, though. He could certainly change it up if you think it’s worth it.

And I think we should camp in a wooded area. They already have the sightline advantage over us anyway, but at least with a canopy above us we reduce their advantage more than we reduce ours.

Let’s definitely camp in a sheltered location. Do any of us know enough about crebain to know if they’re active at night, or can see well in the dark?

Ghan agrees with Bitur and prefers a wooded area (as some of his spells work well in there.)

We could use a watch list and a general camp layout. No caves, but pretty variable pine trees woods available.

Collectively the group knows Crebain are mainly diurnal but see better at night than humans but not as well as Dwarves. Crebain are skilled at flyby attacks, almost a free attack though it leaves them close enough to shoot. In practice if you hold your attack, you can make 1 attack on them and they don’t invoke opportunity attacks. On the otherhand, they have a hard time hitting and do little damage. They’ll rarely attack dangerous foes on the ground.

I could now cast my illusion over the camp.

Gwaelur should take the darkest part of the night for his watch shift. He sees the best of the party.

As Ceol doesn’t need to rest to gain/regain spells, he will definitely volunteer for a watch.

Since there are so many potential foes, is it a good idea to do 2 person watches?

Gilraen will once again, push herself with the Ancient Rod of Kanotir and watch deep into the night to provide an extra set of eyes. Her darkvision is very good at 60’. I think we should try to have 2-3 people awake at all times tonight.