Middle Names

PS: I once knew a girl named Te Uira also Maori. Does that count for points?

Patrick. Philip Patrick. And my wife is Leigh-Anne Marie.

I guess what’s also unusual about my middle name is it’s two words, but one name. Not a hyphenated double name, or two separate middle names.

Never really thought about that aspect much before.

My middle name? Well, duh!

You guys are lucky I don’t have a middle name. In fact I was supposed to be named Stuart. But my mom was in a bad mood. When the nurse asked her what she wanted to name me, she said. “I could care less Mark anything down.”

So I just fake the inital J for a middle name.

Leigh. It goes much better with my full first name than it does with my nickname.

Ann. Dull, huh? I had my middle name changed legally when I got married, though. I now use my maiden name (James) as my middle name. BTW, my nickname is also connected to my maiden (now middle) name. I’ve gone by Jess or Jesse (for Jesse James) for years.

Jess

Full of 'satiable curtiosity

I got stuck!No middle name at all! :frowning:

my middle name is “Janice”. (pronounced juh-neice–like Denise). It was my mother’s middle name and also my grandmother’s. I like it alot (I think Jennifer Janice has a nice “ring” to it :)), and I will probobly have my first daughter’s middle name “Janice” to go along with the tradition. :slight_smile:

tipi :slight_smile:

Florence. Yeah, real inspiring.( Joan being the meatloaf of a first name I’ve been saddled with.) It’s like choosing between being beaten or stabbed to death.

I need therapy for my names.

Wilhelmine.

I rather like it, but when I try to get people to use it instead of my first name, they call me “Willy”, and I have to kill them.

Hey, Neuro, is that a Dutch name I see there ? Could be German too…

I have no middle name. First name’s Jasper, if anyone cares… not the town in Texas :wink:

Over here, middle names often reflect the names of grandparents and the like - predominantly a catholic tradition. I don’t really see that as any different from the middle names, so I have to disagree with the deviding definition above. Ah well, it’s not like we’re Spanish or something, therefore I could be wrong.

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Mine’s Blaise (yes, I DID feel like stating the obvious) but most of my sisters also got odd middle names:

Penny’s middle name is Zoe (pronounced ‘Zo’)
Karen’s is Danette (I’m pretty sure that’s NOT a name)
Kirsten’s is Merideth
and then the only normal one? My sister Jo’s middle name is (predictably) Ann. Of course, since everyone calls her Joann, it’s more like she doesn’t have a middle name. I remember when I was about 5 I asked her what her middle name was and she told me it was Ann. For the rest of the day I thought her name was “Joann Ann.”

Both of my brothers got more normal middle names, though. Timothy and Kelly. I’m not sure how they lucked out.

“You’re going to listen
to ME? To something I
said? Haven’t I made it
abundantly clear over the
tenure of our friendship
that I don’t know shit?”

• Brodie, “Mallrats”

Coldfire-

It could be, I guess. I’m pretty sure that my parents’ idea of a good middle name was a name that they really liked, but didn’t have the courage to use as a first name. Case in point: my little sister’s middle name is Valencia, after the county we lived in. Can you imagine if that had been her first name?

my initials in Straight Dopeland would be CEG (Cow Edward God)

“I’m not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.”-- Calvin and Hobbes
(__)
\/-------\ | |-----| |
…c.c…c.c…

Neuro,

I’m sure you mean the CITY Valencia ?

The mother of our queen-mother was named Wilhelmina: a Royal name you got there :wink:

Coldfire

My mother said it was William. But one night a fortune cookie told me the truth: “Wisdom is your middle name.”

My parents went for family surnames for us four kids. I ended up with Hartwell (my wife occasionally asks me if she can call me “Hart” instead of Doug – no, NO!), my brother has Stanfield, my sisters Lynham and Shiels. Of my parents and my grandparents, only my father and his mother used their first names; the rest used their middlenames or, in the case of my mother’s mother, her initials: “Sets,” for Sara Esdale Teresa Shiels Stanfield.

Tangentally, my father’s parents, Peter Earl and Ada Mae, always wrote their names as P. Earl and Ada M., and they ended up with a lot of junk mail addressed to “Pearl and Adam.”

ColdFire - Jasper? I have a grandfather with the first and middle names of Jasper Nimrod. I thought it was just a midwest U.S shitkicker name.
Back on the topic, my middle name is quite dull - Brian.

One complete set of morals for sale to highest bidder, new in box.

UncleBeer:

“Jasper” is either Norwegian or Frysian (Province of The Netherlands). The first means ‘The Invincible’, whereas the second indicates ‘The Farmer’. Hmmm, I’ll stick with the Norwegian descent then :slight_smile:

Chances are the US version of Jasper originates from the Dutch settlers, unless the Vikings beet us to it :wink:

Coldfire